From: rlove@neosoft.com (Robert B. Love )
Cc: jamie@dcd00745.slip.digex.net
Subject: Re: Ada caused failure of IBM's attempt to redesign air traffic system?
Date: 1996/11/17
Date: 1996-11-17T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In <56l5s7$699@news4.digex.net> Jamie Schrumpf wrote:
> This post came from another group, but certainly has bearing here.
Can anyone
> comment on Ted's claim that IBM's failure to redesign the air traffic
system
> was due to Ada?

Well, lets look at other examples where Ada is used in Air Traffic
Control and then you judge.

Thompson of France has bragged that it has created the ATC system for
over 30 nations using Ada and is approaching 90% code reuse.

Austrailia created its own ATC system in Ada.

Canada is currently redoing/upgrading its ATC in Ada and the contractor
is hiring more Ada programmers as we speak.

Ada has many success stories in Air Traffic Control.  Now, do you want
to blame Ada for the US failure?  Clearly the language is up to the
task.  Some programmers or their management may not be up to the task.

Bob Love, rlove@neosoft.com (local)        MIME & NeXT Mail OK
rlove@raptor.rmnug.org  (permanent)        PGP key available