* Re: Options for Ada Development Envionment for a PC using Motif
@ 1996-11-14  0:00 ` John M. Mills
From: John M. Mills @ 1996-11-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <328B33C1.19D3@ccgate.hac.com> dljohnston@ccgate.hac.com writes:

>I have a requirement to develop a PC application using Ada that must have
>a Motif interface.  It would also be convent to develop on a PC also and
>have available a STARS compliant GUI builder.  An additional requirement
>also exists to port the code to a DEC Alpha.

>Anyone have any relevant experiences they would like to share or
>suggestions.

We are doing development under Linux on those platforms, and Motif is
available for them.  (I am using XFree/Motif-2.0/Linux on a PC at the
moment.)  We are also testing the claim that DEC Unix and Linux for
Alphas will transparently run one another's binaries.  I am not an expert
there, but I understand it to generally work.  Compilation by GNAT.  You
would need a set of Motif/Ada wrappers, but that's not specific to your
hosts if you can get Ada or C source for the wrappers.  You can peruse
Linux info at:
  http://www.redhat.com
and also at:
  http://www.cc.gatech.edu/ftp/linux/welcome.html
and finer mirrors near you.  I mention Red Hat because they offer a
parallel set of distributions on Intel, Alpha, and Sparc architectures.
There are other distributions and many repackagers, as discussed in the
FAQs you will find at those sites.

For what it's worth ...

--
John M. Mills, Senior Research Engineer   --   john.m.mills@gtri.gatech.edu
   Georgia Tech Research Institute, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 30332-0834

* Options for Ada Development Envionment for a PC using Motif
@ 1996-11-14  0:00 dljohnston