From: adambeneschan@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Profile mismatch?
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 10:38:31 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2014-03-13T10:38:31-07:00	[thread overview]

On Thursday, March 13, 2014 9:35:40 AM UTC-7, Simon Wright wrote:

> > In Ada 95, which didn't have "not null", the rules said that
> > parameters in that position were required to be non-null.  When "not
> > null" was added to Ada 2005, the decision was made to allow, but not
> > require, the "not null" on controlling parameters, for backward
> > compatibility.  That's not the case for parameters in other positions,
> > which is why you may see "not subtype conformant" errors.
>
> This is what GNAT is doing (I take it you don't actually mean
> "position"; in the first case "access T" had to be non-null in Ada 95,
> and in the second case it's non-controlling parameters).

"Situation" might have been a better word.  In any case, by "parameters in other positions" I meant "non-controlling parameters".  And you're right that all access parameters were non-null in Ada 95, which I forgot, but only the controlling parameters are now implicitly null-excluding if there is no explicit "not null".

                          -- Adam