* Ada users
@ 2009-04-02 23:52 Chetan
From: Chetan @ 2009-04-02 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was wondering about the type of projects Ada is being used nowadays,
besides defence related projects.  What do you use it for?

--
What's news?

* Re: Ada users
@ 2009-04-03  0:58 ` Marc A. Criley
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2009-04-03  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chetan wrote:
> I was wondering about the type of projects Ada is being used nowadays,
> besides defence related projects.  What do you use it for?

Here's the list:

http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~mfeldman/ada-project-summary.html

Marc A. Criley

* Re: Ada users
@ 2009-04-03 11:34   ` Tim Rowe
From: Tim Rowe @ 2009-04-03 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marc A. Criley wrote:
> Chetan wrote:
>> I was wondering about the type of projects Ada is being used nowadays,
>> besides defence related projects.  What do you use it for?
>
> Here's the list:

Perhaps
http://www.eurocontrol.int/artas/public/standard_page/artas_systemarchitecture.html
should be on the list, although it's not exclusively Ada -- I don't see
it there.

* Re: Ada users
@ 2009-04-03 12:07     ` Jean-Pierre Rosen
From: Jean-Pierre Rosen @ 2009-04-03 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim Rowe a �crit :
> Perhaps
> http://www.eurocontrol.int/artas/public/standard_page/artas_systemarchitecture.html
> should be on the list, although it's not exclusively Ada -- I don't see
> it there.
There is also the MASS project:
http://www.eurocontrol.int/eec/public/standard_page/ERS_mass.html

           J-P. Rosen (rosen@adalog.fr)

* Re: Ada users
@ 2009-04-04 21:08       ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2009-04-04 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Good reminder.  I've sent mention of Ada running a TV station's video
server to Mike Feldman.

* Re: Ada users
@ 2009-04-12 21:24 ` Jacob Sparre Andersen
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2009-04-12 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chetan wrote:

> I was wondering about the type of projects Ada is being used
> nowadays, besides defence related projects.  What do you use it for?

Investment simulations and analysis in an investment bank.

Greetings,

Jacob
--
"I remember being impressed with Ada because you could write
 an infinite loop without a faked up condition. The idea

* Re: Ada users
@ 2009-04-13  9:11   ` Alex R. Mosteo
From: Alex R. Mosteo @ 2009-04-13  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:

> Chetan wrote:
>
>> I was wondering about the type of projects Ada is being used
>> nowadays, besides defence related projects.  What do you use it for?
>
> Investment simulations and analysis in an investment bank.

I'm in academia, using it to program teams of mobile robots.

Alex.

> Greetings,
>
> Jacob

* Re: Ada users
@ 2009-04-16 21:47 ` lanceboyle
From: lanceboyle @ 2009-04-16 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr 2, 4:52 pm, Chetan <chetan.xs...@xspam.sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I was wondering about the type of projects Ada is being used nowadays,
> besides defence related projects.  What do you use it for?
>
> --
> What's news?

I use Ada (GNAT 4.3) for most of my "general purpose" programming. I'm
an engineer (research and R&D) so that means all manner of
calculations, simulations, etc. I use it where many people would use
Octave or Matlab. However, many of my projects are larger than would
be comfortable in those languages (i.e., 50 lines 8^). I have made
function overloads for the arithmetic operators so that writing
algebraic expressions using floats, integers, and complex types is
easy and easy to read. Ada 2005 added official real and complex
vectors and matrices; I have added overloads to also allow "mixed-
mode" arithmetic with those vectors and matrices and floats, integers,
and complex types. Yes, it's a nuisance to have to do this, but it's
not hard and you have to do it only once.

I use several other tools--Igor Pro, Mathematica, Octave,
Supercollider, Max/MSP, ChucK, LiveMath Maker, Pascal (for legacy
stuff), and a bit of sed and regexp, etc.--but Ada is far and away my
first tool. I believe in using the most appropriate tool for any given
job, and mixing as necessary, and Ada is the most appropriate most of
the time.

Jerry

P.S. One thing that makes Ada so useful for my general calculation
needs are the Ada bindings to PLplot (which I wrote). See
http://plplot.sourceforge.net/.

* Re: Ada users
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-04-17 20:19 ` Samuel Tardieu
From: Samuel Tardieu @ 2009-04-17 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chetan> I was wondering about the type of projects Ada is being used
Chetan> nowadays, besides defence related projects.  What do you use it
Chetan> for?

The "Telecom Robotics association", a French robotic club, uses Ada to
control their robot taking part of the European robotics contest
(http://www.eurobot.org/eng/).

  Sam
--
Samuel Tardieu -- sam@rfc1149.net -- http://www.rfc1149.net/