* Need small Ada program
@ 1996-11-06  0:00 Philip Rayfield Brown
From: Philip Rayfield Brown @ 1996-11-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Does anyone know of a Ada compiler or Ada syntax checker which
can fit on a diskette?  It does not have to be accurate or complete.

                                                          Philip

* Re: Need small Ada program
@ 1996-11-06  0:00 ` John Herro
From: John Herro @ 1996-11-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

pbrown@cs.uno.edu (Philip Rayfield Brown) writes:
> Does anyone know of a Ada compiler or Ada
> syntax checker which can fit on a diskette?
> It does not have to be accurate or complete.

I used to run Meridian AdaVantage ver. 3, a once-validated Ada 83
compiler, on a memory card resembling a diskette; it took up only 1.2 MB.
Meridian no longer exists, but D.C. Heath is selling some of their
products.  I don't know if ver. 3 is still available as Open Ada, because
there was a version 4, and it was larger.  You might check with D.C. Heath
Co., 2700 N. Richardt Ave., Indianapolis, IN 46219-1186.  Phone
800-334-3284, 800-428-8071, 317-359-5585, or 617-862-6650, fax
800-824-7390.  (I think the price is $66.67 plus tax and shipping, and I
have no financial interest.)

If you can get the ver. 3 compiler, you'll have to install on your hard
disk first.  Because the INSTALL program installs for a specific drive,
first type SUBST A: C:\ and then install to A: (really C:) from diskettes
in B:.  Then cancel the SUBST command with SUBST A:/D, and create \ADA,
\ADA\ADAUTIL, \ADA\BIN, \ADA\DOSENV, and \ADA\PACLILB on the diskette in
A:.  Copy the four mentioned subdirectories of \ADA from C: to A:, and add
A:\ADA\BIN to your PATH.  (Strictly speaking, you don't _need_ DOSENV, but
it's only 200K and worth it.)

If you have only one diskette drive, you can't install "from diskettes in
B:," but you can create C:\BDRIVE, copy _all_ the install diskettes to it,
and type SUBST B: C:\BDRIVE.  Change to B: (really C:\BDRIVE) and install
to A: (really C:\).

If you can't get the ver. 3.0 compiler, you might check out Small Ada, a
free download at
http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/languages/ada/compiler/smallada.  It's a small
subset of Ada 83, and I don't know offhand if it fits on a diskette.

If you're successful, please post a message and let us know.

- John Herro
Software Innovations Technology
http://members.aol.com/AdaTutor
ftp://members.aol.com/AdaTutor

* Re: Need small Ada program
@ 1996-11-06  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1996-11-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"    Does anyone know of a Ada compiler or Ada syntax checker which
can fit on a diskette?  It does not have to be accurate or complete."

My DASC is only about 20K longt it is Ada 83, a version in Ada is
distributed by TSP (correction: was distributed by Alsys, I don't know
about current policy) and it is still pretty small.

P.S. DASC just does syntax checking, but it runs at several million
lines a minute on medium speed PC's.