* New Eiffel development system released
@ 1996-11-06  0:00 Birgit Becher
From: Birgit Becher @ 1996-11-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

A revolutionary new Eiffel system has been developed by the German
software
company Halstenbach ACT GmbH. The product, named iss-base, is, according
to the
company, "one of the most powerful object-oriented visual development
systems
currently available".

iss-base, which is running under MS Windows 95, MS Windows NT, SVR4,
HP-UX, AIX,
SCO UNIX, Sinix, and SUN Solaris, contains a number of components:

iss-bench is an interactive tool containing the Eiffel compiler, an
automatic
dependency checker, source code debugger, object inspector, as well as
powerful
browsing capabilities.

iss-build is an interactive dialog and application builder, enabling the
user to
easily construct so-called TUNE templates which serve as reusable and
redefinable
building blocks for assembling graphical user interfaces. iss-build is
the
graphical front-end for iss-vision, the underlying user interface
management
system targeted to Microsoft Windows platforms. The TUNE system provides
a number
of facilities like dynamic layout and configuration of graphical objects,
an
integrated message system, and many hooks for integrating application
specific
classes.

iss-libraries contain a multitude of reusable components: iss-baselib is
the
implementation of numerous basic data structures and algorithms as Eiffel
classes; iss-store delivers the entirety of ODBC functionality over
Eiffel
classes; and iss-net enables the user to develop client/server
applications in a
heterogeneous environment.

iss-system-licence, with its integrated Garbage Collector, is needed to
execute
the applications developed with iss-base.

iss-base is currently available as version 1.5. The company offers a
"Private
Licence" to individuals and students which is available for US$ 199,- and
offers
the same functionality as the commercial version.

Further information can be obtained at the Website of Halstenbach ACT
(http://www.halstenbach.de) or via e-mail (info@halstenbach.de). The
information
is currently available in German; an English version is under
construction and
will be available soon.

* Re: New Eiffel development system released
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1996-11-06  0:00 ` Thorsten Weber
From: Thorsten Weber @ 1996-11-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Birgit Becher (birgit@hact.de) wrote:
> A revolutionary new Eiffel system has been developed by the German
> software
> company Halstenbach ACT GmbH. The product, named iss-base, is, according
> to the
> company, "one of the most powerful object-oriented visual development
> systems
> currently available".

> iss-base, which is running under MS Windows 95, MS Windows NT, SVR4,
> HP-UX, AIX,
> SCO UNIX, Sinix, and SUN Solaris, contains a number of components:
[deletia]

Hi,

do you plan to release a version of your iss-base for the Macintosh ?
Just curious and interested,
Thorsten

--
Thorsten P. Weber

eMail: unki@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de

- For free speech online and elsewhere, join the blue ribbon campaign! -  ()
------------------ http://www.eff.org/blueribbon.html ------------------  /\

* Re: New Eiffel development system released
@ 1996-11-06  0:00 ` Paul Johnson
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Paul Johnson @ 1996-11-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3281026E.36FB@hact.de>, birgit@hact.de says...

>A revolutionary new Eiffel system has been developed by the German
>software
>company Halstenbach ACT GmbH.

Wow!  Two completely new Eiffel environments for Windows announced within 4
weeks.

I wonder what will happen next week?

Paul.

--
Paul Johnson            | GEC-Marconi Ltd is not responsible for my opinions. |
+44 1245 242244         +-----------+-----------------------------------------+

* Re: New Eiffel development system released
@ 1996-11-06  0:00 ` Oliver Grellert
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Oliver Grellert @ 1996-11-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Birgit Becher wrote:

> A revolutionary new Eiffel system has been developed by the German
> software
> company Halstenbach ACT GmbH. The product, named iss-base, is, according

> iss-base, which is running under MS Windows 95, MS Windows NT, SVR4,
> HP-UX, AIX,
> SCO UNIX, Sinix, and SUN Solaris, contains a number of components:

Too bad, this development kit is not available for Linux and DEC?
For research purposes it would be fine to get this, too.
Linux for the students (like me) at home, DEC for university sites.

But who knows what time will bring, that I can do the eiffel stuff
at home an carry it to my office..

best regards,

Olli

grellert@mdv.gwdg.de

* Re: New Eiffel development system released
@ 1996-11-06  0:00 ` Dominique Colnet
From: Dominique Colnet @ 1996-11-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Birgit Becher

In article <3281026E.36FB@hact.de>, Birgit Becher <birgit@hact.de> writes:
|> A revolutionary new Eiffel system has been developed by the German
|> software
|> ... stuff deleted
Which compiler is in use ?
Is it a **new** compiler ?
Is it the ISE compiler (or ISE-like compiler) ?
Really revolutionary ?
Dominique COLNET -- Talk Eiffel with SmallEiffel Talk Eiffel
C.R.I.N. (Centre de Recherche en Informatique de Nancy)
POST: CRIN,BP 239,54506 Vandoeuvre les Nancy Cedex,FRANCE
EMAIL: colnet@loria.fr VOICE:+33 0383593079 FAX:+33 0383413079

* Re: New Eiffel development system released
@ 1996-11-06  0:00   ` Christoph Toussaint
From: Christoph Toussaint @ 1996-11-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dominique Colnet wrote:

> In article <3281026E.36FB@hact.de>, Birgit Becher <birgit@hact.de> writes:
> |> A revolutionary new Eiffel system has been developed by the German
> |> software
> |> ... stuff deleted
> Which compiler is in use ?
> Is it a **new** compiler ?
> Is it the ISE compiler (or ISE-like compiler) ?

It is the ISE compiler.

> Really revolutionary ?

There is a concept to integrate WINDOW 95 / NT ressources.

Christoph Tousaint, Forschungszentrum Informatik, Karlsruhe

* Re: New Eiffel development system released
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1996-11-07  0:00 ` Don Harrison
From: Don Harrison @ 1996-11-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Birgit Becher writes:

:The information
:is currently available in German; an English version is under
:construction and
:will be available soon.

Ich werde fur die Englischer [version waiten] weil mein Deutsch ist sehr
schrecklich! Du musst glaube dass auch. :)

Don.
Don Harrison             donh@syd.csa.com.au