From: johnherro@aol.com (John Herro)
Subject: Re: Ada on old and simple systems
Date: 1996/11/05
Date: 1996-11-05T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Noam Kloos <noam@3wis.nl> writes:
> How can I write or use Ada for systems
> like an 8088 XT or 80286 machine?

Believe it or not, I ran a once-validated Ada 83 compiler (Meridian
AdaVantage, ver. 3.0) on an 8088 POCKET-SIZED 7MHz computer with NO disks,
just 1MB of internal memory, and two 2MB memory cards that acted like
small "disks"!  The entire Ada compiler and a word processor (PC-Write),
configured as a crude "Ada language-sensitive editor," fit on one of the
memory cards!

However, when you're talking about "missiles and small electronic
devices," you definitely want a cross compiler.  The host computer can be
as large as you want; it generates output for the target processor, which
-- you're right -- needn't be a Pentium.

- John Herro
Software Innovations Technology
http://members.aol.com/AdaTutor
ftp://members.aol.com/AdaTutor