From: Lucretia <laguest9000@googlemail.com>
Subject: Re: Well, they kept that quiet!
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2019 09:43:20 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2019-10-01T09:43:20-07:00	[thread overview]

On Tuesday, 1 October 2019 15:58:41 UTC+1, Optikos  wrote:

> as quoted from the webpage at the 1st URL above:
>
> “License
>
> “The GNAT LLVM tool is licensed under the GNU General Public License version 3 or later; see file COPYING3 for details.”

That's the source of this LLVM binding, the compiler and runtime come from FSF and are under GPLv3 with linking exception.

Then there's LLVM which actually generates the final code. The compiler links to the LLVM-C lib to generate an in memory AST which generates the LLVM IR which is then passed onto the LLVM tools, as/ld.

So, I think you could argue that the final code is a combination of GPLv3 with LE (the runtime) and whatever licence you want (your code).

> The COPYING3 file contains GPLv3 verbatim without any GMGPLv2- or RLE-esque permission grants.
>
> The burning question will be:  will gnat-llvm ever be released in the future
into FSF GNAT's source tree so that it has FSF's RLE permission grants?  Only AdaCore can answer that question.

AdaCore staff on IRC said "you'd be surprised" when I asked about licensing for this ages ago, hinting that it wouldn't all be covered by GPLv3 (no LE).