* compiler errors in GNAT 304a (win95)
@ 1996-10-27  0:00 James Conley
From: James Conley @ 1996-10-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was writing a simple program that used text.io and overrode put() to
put an array of integers.  I have yet to have it work right, but I got
a strange sieris of errors from gnatmake - it tells me that system.ads
and ada.ads has been modified and that I have to recompile everything
that depends on them (text.io,etc about 30+ sources..).  I haven't
modified anything that I know of except my little program that is in a
seperate directory alltogether!  This seems awful strange, is this
common? mabye I accidently changed the date on one of these files
while moving them to a different directory or something. - how would I
recompile all these files?? Do i just go to that directory and issue a
gnatmake for each file it complains about? please let me know if
anyone has any idea why it would do this and how to fix it please.
Thanks!

James
jconley@mindspring.com

* Re: compiler errors in GNAT 304a (win95)
@ 1996-10-28  0:00 ` BlacKnight
From: BlacKnight @ 1996-10-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Funny you should have that problem, I had the same on all of my adainclude
files this morning when I tried to compile my lab. Don't know why it happened
but I just deleted gnat304a and reinstalled it, it works fine now.

In article <550d8k$vkh@camel4.mindspring.com>, jconley@mindspring.com says...

@ 1996-10-29  0:00   ` Michael Feldman
From: Michael Feldman @ 1996-10-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3276406F.4B06@easystreet.com>,
Al Christians  <achrist@EASYSTREET.COM> wrote:
>I had a similar problem with the DOS version and Adacaps.  If
>you try to bring any of the *ads files into Adacaps to just see
>what facilities the library packages offer, Adacaps will ask you
>if you want to change the file format from LF for ene-of-line to
>CR-LF.   If you say yes, it automatically updates them for you,
>and you are out of business.  This changes the date-time stamp on
>the file, which means it has to be recompiled, but the *.adb source
>files aren't all available, so you must re-install GNAT to
>recover.
>
>Al

Hey - this is a good point; nobody has ever raised this issue with us.
The conversion was added to help people move code from Un*x to DOS.
I do _not_ think the file is automatically updated (i.e. stored).
It certainly shouldn;t be, until you close the window, in which case
AdaCAPS should ask for confirmation before rewriting the file.

If AdaCAPS is _really_ modifying a file and changing a timestamp
without your permission, that's a bug that needs to be corrected.
Please try this and let me know. I will try it too when I have
my PC handy.

It is true that changing the timestamp on an interface file from
the runtime is a bad idea. OTOH, I'm not aware of any bodies that
are not provided. It's best not to touch (in any sense of the word.:-))
anything in the runtime.

Mike Feldman
Michael B. Feldman -  chair, SIGAda Education Working Group
The George Washington University -  Washington, DC 20052 USA
202-994-5919 (voice) - 202-994-0227 (fax)
http://www.seas.gwu.edu/faculty/mfeldman
       Pork is all that money the government gives the other guys.
WWW: http://www.adahome.com or http://info.acm.org/sigada/education

* Re: compiler errors in GNAT 304a (win95)
       [not found] <md5:5ED2867CFD8ACCF17D825936A4480412>
@ 1996-10-29  0:00 ` Al Christians
From: Al Christians @ 1996-10-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1996-11-01  0:00 ` Raymond W. Magness
From: Raymond W. Magness @ 1996-11-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I had the same thing happen.  I re-installed GNAT and it seemed to work
ok.
--
Raymond W. Magness
Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

* Re: compiler errors in GNAT 304a (win95)
@ 1996-11-04  0:00 ` James Conley
From: James Conley @ 1996-11-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

jconley@mindspring.com (James Conley) wrote:
Thanks for everyone's reply, seems like I'm not the only one.
I had to reinstall GNAT, but then it happened again and the second
time I went to ~adaincludes subdirectory and ran gnatmake -a on the
files that it said had been 'touched' (only have to do this on a few
files since so many of them depend on others) and moved all the .obj
and .ali files to the ~lib subdir replacing the non-touched versions.
and everything seems to still be working.  I have had to do this twice
now.

James Conley