From: WhiteR@CRPL.Cedar-Rapids.lib.IA.US (Robert S. White)
Subject: Re: Ada News Brief
Date: 1996/10/28
Date: 1996-10-28T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <dewar.846422650@merv>, dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu says...
...snip...

>1. The switch from an Ada 83 to an Ada 95 compiler may involve changes in
>implementatoin dependent choices (e.g. the behavior of representation
>pragmas). This is especially likely to be so if you are switching
>front ends (VADS to GNAT, or DEC to Rational, or Alsys to TSP).
>
>2. There are subtle changes in semantics, e.g. of overloading, which are
>unlikely to be copied exactly. It makes no sense to have two overloading
>algorityhms, where the only function of one of them is to implement
>obscure Ada 83 rules that have been judged (a) undesriable and (b)
>too obscure to worry about compatibility issues.
>
>In addition, usually it is only worth trying to worry about correct Ada 83
>rules, there seems little point (and it would be tough) to diagnose all
>possible Ada 83 semantic errors.
>
>One interesting criterion would be to see if a compiler can 100% validate
>against 1.11 with its Ada 83 switch. GNAT certainly makes no such claim.

  But as it has been said before, just changing from one Ada 83
implementation to another can show up a lot of similar subtle
incompatibilities.  Try moving from Tartan Ada 83 to Rational Apex 2.06
Ada 83.   Watch out for operator renames and not enough "use System;"'s.
It seems like I have had fewer problems with Gnat vs other "picky/tough"
Ada 83 compilers.

Robert S. White                    -- an embedded sys software engineer
WhiteR@CRPL.Cedar-Rapids.lib.IA.US --long/cheap alternate I-net address
                                   -- support your public library!