* Re: the term "pound sign" (was: help: character to integer)
@ 1996-10-15  0:00 W. Wesley Groleau (Wes)
From: W. Wesley Groleau (Wes) @ 1996-10-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In a 1957 reprint of an even older edition of a dictionary that my wife and
I own, there is a section on symbols, divided by application domain.

In the "Commerce and Business" section, # is listed as meaning "pounds" when
it occurs after a number.

My mother (born 1933) and grandmother (1908) both had secretarial training,
both know nothing about computers, and both pronounced " 25# " as
"twenty-five pounds" even before I knew anything about computers.

The representation for '#' differs from '3' by one bit.
(BEGIN OPINION MODE)
I suspect this has something to do with the fact that typewriters for several
decades have had '#' as the shifted form of '3'.
(END OPINION MODE)

Do antique U.K typewriters have the pound stirling symbol above the three?
W. Wesley Groleau (Wes)    wwgrol    x4923    MS 10-40    10C2C6    AFATDS IG

* Re: the term "pound sign" (was: help: character to integer)
@ 1996-10-17  0:00 W. Wesley Groleau (Wes)
From: W. Wesley Groleau (Wes) @ 1996-10-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

:> Well I must say that at first it seemed quite credible that this was indeed
:> an old term, but the failure of anyone to come up with other than the most
:> dubious scraps of anecdotal evidence is puzzling ...

So: Feldman's claim that physics teachers used '#' for "pounds" around 1960
is a dubious scrap of anecdotal evidence.

And: Webster's claim made in 1957 that '#' was used for "pounds" in commerce
and business is a dubious scrap of anecdotal evidence.

And: my claim that at least one non-computer-literate secretary used '#'
for "pounds" before 1950 is a dubious scrap of anecdotal evidence.

Now: How do we describe the claim the started this silly argument, to wit:

 >. . . But for example, the symbol for 16#23# which is # in
 >the US version, is the pound stirling symbol in the UK (this is why # on
 >a US touch tone phone is called the pound key).

I suspect "this is why" was merely a case of inadvertent inaccuracy.
(Let he who is without sin...)
But even if he meant it, is it worth a big fight?

I predict that if someone with a better newsreader than I :-) were to put
this question on alt.english.usage the result would be
a hundred dubious scraps of anecdotal evidence, two hundred useless
opinions, and at least ten conclusive quotes from hundred-year-old
dictionaries.

W. Wesley Groleau (Wes)                                Office: 219-429-4923
Hughes Defense Communications (MS 10-40)                 Home: 219-471-7206
Fort Wayne,  IN   46808                  (Unix): wwgrol@pseserv3.fw.hac.com

* Re: the term "pound sign" (was: help: character to integer)
@ 1996-10-17  0:00 John Walker
From: John Walker @ 1996-10-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 16 Oct 1996 09:04:44 -0400,
Robert Dewar <dewar@MERV.CS.NYU.EDU> wrote:

>Well I must say that at first it seemed quite credible that this was indeed
>an old term, but the failure of anyone to come up with other than the most
>dubious scraps of anecdotal evidence is puzzling ...

Don't nobody got no symbol dictionaries? :)

*Moi*'s memory leans vaguely to the (#=pound)=old side, but I wonder
whether the usage was blue-collar: stock clerks rather than
bookkeepers.  One tilt in the (#=pound)=new direction is that the 1909
Webster's shows # as only the number sign.  Class bias? :)

But c'mon, somebody gotta got a symbol dictionary!

take care,

John
                    walkerj@sw-eng.falls-church.va.us
                   Assembler is a high-level language.
    .GET DSCLAIMR.STD   ; and ponder the implications of insertion points

* Re: help: character to integer
@ 1996-10-02  0:00 Richard A. O'Keefe
From: Richard A. O'Keefe @ 1996-10-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

spear@wam.umd.edu (Eric Anthony Spear) writes:

>I've tried to find the answer in the RM, but I haven't had any luck.

It's there.

>Is there a function, either in a package or as an attribute, that can work
>like this BASIC function:

>i = ASC("X")

>That is, the function returns the ASCII value of the given character.

Values of any discrete type can be converted to integers using the 'Pos
attribute and back again using the 'Val attribute.  This was so in Ada 83
and is still so in Ada 95.   You want

	I := Character'Pos('X');

--
Australian citizen since 14 August 1996.  *Now* I can vote the xxxs out!
Richard A. O'Keefe; http://www.cs.rmit.edu.au/%7Eok; RMIT Comp.Sci.