* Re: problems with GNAT in Win95?
@ 1996-10-22  0:00 ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 1996-10-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

James Conley <jconley@mindspring.com> wrote in article
<54hbgi$t9r@camel0.mindspring.com>...
> ....  Is there a different version of GNAT for win95
> specific??? I am using the one that came with ez2load - GNAT 305s for
> Thanks!
> James
> jconley@mindspring.com

Hi James,
The latest gnat for Win95/WinNT is
ftp://ftp.cs.yale.edu/pub/gnat/setup_gnat304a1.exe.gz
--
David C. Hoos, Sr.,
http://www.dbhwww.com

* problems with GNAT in Win95?
@ 1996-10-22  0:00 James Conley
From: James Conley @ 1996-10-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

The other day I posted a problem that seemed strange, only to come to
find out that the problem seems to be that the GNAT305s does not like
Win95 very well (at least with some data structures?).  I tried
compiling the EXACT same source code under win95 and under dos (same
machine, rebooted it) and the compiler (linker actually) crashed
everytime under windows but would link,bind, and execute under DOS
mode with no problem.  Is there a different version of GNAT for win95
specific??? I am using the one that came with ez2load - GNAT 305s for
msdos with djgpp v2.? dos extender.  Has anyone else came across
problems with GNAT and win95?
Thanks!
James
jconley@mindspring.com

* Re: Using DOS GNAT on Win95 (was Re: problems with GNAT in Win95?)
@ 1996-10-23  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1996-10-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tom Griest said

'As you guessed, there is a different version of GNAT ported specifically
to Win32 platforms: Win95 and WinNT.  The current version of this is
3.04a, but another release is in the works.:

What TOm means is the current publically released version. The current version
is 3.08, and it is currently being used and tested by our customers. This
version will be released publically some time in the future, at the point
where it has been sufficiently well tested (should certainly be before
the end of the year, may well be sooner).

* Using DOS GNAT on Win95 (was Re: problems with GNAT in Win95?)
@ 1996-10-23  0:00 ` Tom Griest
From: Tom Griest @ 1996-10-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: jconley

In article <54hbgi$t9r@camel0.mindspring.com> jconley@mindspring.com writes:
>The other day I posted a problem that seemed strange, only to come to
>find out that the problem seems to be that the GNAT305s does not like
>Win95 very well (at least with some data structures?).  I tried
>compiling the EXACT same source code under win95 and under dos (same
>machine, rebooted it) and the compiler (linker actually) crashed
>everytime under windows but would link,bind, and execute under DOS
>mode with no problem.  Is there a different version of GNAT for win95
>specific??? I am using the one that came with ez2load - GNAT 305s for
>msdos with djgpp v2.? dos extender.  Has anyone else came across
>problems with GNAT and win95?

As you guessed, there is a different version of GNAT ported specifically
to Win32 platforms: Win95 and WinNT.  The current version of this is
3.04a, but another release is in the works.  ACT and LabTek have
decided to migrate GNAT/Win32 to the Cygnus GNU tools to make 'freeer'
use of GNAT on Win32, but this has not been without considerable work.
Most of this work is being done by ACT which will be making future
releases of GNAT "Win32 Ready".  In the long run, this will be a
big benefit for those using the Win32 platform, but for now use
the 3.04a release.  This is available at ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/win95/.

-Tom Griest
LabTek Corp.