* Is anybody teaching Pl1 these days?
@ 1996-10-07  0:00 Mike Glasgow
From: Mike Glasgow @ 1996-10-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: mike.glasgow

I'm doing a quick and dirty survey to find out if any college/university
is still teaching programming using PL1.  Passing mention in a history
of programming languages class doesn't count.  Of course I don't expect
to find any (or at least not many), I just need to have something better
than intuition to back up the assertion that nobody is teaching it
anymore.  BTW, I'm not out to bash PL1, just need some facts.

So, if you know that a particular college/university does or does not
have any programming courses that use PL1, please send me email with the
name of the institution and the verdict.

Thanks.

* Re: Is anybody teaching Pl1 these days?
@ 1996-10-08  0:00 ` David M. Cook
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: David M. Cook @ 1996-10-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 07 Oct 1996 13:39:16 -0400, Mike Glasgow
<Mike.Glasgow@lmco.com> wrote:

>I'm doing a quick and dirty survey to find out if any college/university
>is still teaching programming using PL1.

According to the info on the web page, Coleman College in San Diego County
is still teaching PL/I as their introductory programming language.

http://www.coleman.edu/home.html

Dave Cook

* Re: Is anybody teaching Pl1 these days?
@ 1996-10-09  0:00 ` @@           robin
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: @@           robin @ 1996-10-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

	Mike Glasgow <Mike.Glasgow@lmco.com> writes:

	>I'm doing a quick and dirty survey to find out if any college/university
	>is still teaching programming using PL1.  Passing mention in a history
	>of programming languages class doesn't count.  Of course I don't expect
	>to find any (or at least not many), I just need to have something better
	>than intuition to back up the assertion that nobody is teaching it
	>anymore.  BTW, I'm not out to bash PL1, just need some facts.

	>So, if you know that a particular college/university does or does not
	>have any programming courses that use PL1, please send me email with the
	>name of the institution and the verdict.

	>Thanks.

---You'll find a number of universities/colleges teaching PL/I,
and includes Concordia University, Michigan University, to
mention a couple OTOMH.

* Re: Is anybody teaching Pl1 these days?
@ 1996-10-09  0:00 ` Robin Vowels
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Robin Vowels @ 1996-10-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

	Mike Glasgow <Mike.Glasgow@lmco.com> writes:

	>I'm doing a quick and dirty survey to find out if any college/university
	>is still teaching programming using PL1.  Passing mention in a history
	>of programming languages class doesn't count.  Of course I don't expect
	>to find any (or at least not many), I just need to have something better
	>than intuition to back up the assertion that nobody is teaching it
	>anymore.  BTW, I'm not out to bash PL1, just need some facts.

	>So, if you know that a particular college/university does or does not
	>have any programming courses that use PL1, please send me email with the
	>name of the institution and the verdict.

Here are some colleges and universities in the USA that are
offering PL/I programming courses.  There are probably many more . . .

We know that some universities/colleges are using PL/I for OS/2,
but whether any of those on the list below is using PL/I for
OS/2 or mainframe or whatever, we don't know . . .

City University of New York at Brooklyn

Engineering Math & Computer Science, University of Louisville

Computer Information Systems, Chatanooga

University of Michigan

	- Dearborn; Computer & Information Systems Department

Dallas County Community College District

North Michigan University

University of South Carolina, College of Science & Mathematics

Illinois Valley College

Wayne State University

	- Henry Ford Community College, Computer Information Systems

	- Highland Park Community College

* Re: Is anybody teaching Pl1 these days?
@ 1996-10-09  0:00   ` Marco Valtorta
From: Marco Valtorta @ 1996-10-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

rav@goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au (Robin Vowels) writes:

>Here are some colleges and universities in the USA that are
>offering PL/I programming courses.  There are probably many more . . .

>We know that some universities/colleges are using PL/I for OS/2,
>but whether any of those on the list below is using PL/I for
>OS/2 or mainframe or whatever, we don't know . . .

>University of South Carolina, College of Science & Mathematics

I am afraid that this piece of information is incorrect.  We have not
offered a PL/I programming course for several years.  By the way, we
have used C++ in our CS-1 course since Fall 1994 and have used Pascal
before that for several years.

I suspect that your information is based on a list provided at the time that
the Department of Computer Science was not a separate entity within the College
of Science and Mathematics, but was part of the Department of Mathematics,
Computer Science, and Statistics.  This was back in the seventies.

Marco Valtorta, Associate Professor and Undergraduate Director
Department of Computer Science  internet: mgv@usceast.cs.sc.edu
University of South Carolina    tel.: (1)(803)777-4641 fax: -3767
Columbia, SC 29208, U.S.A.      http://www.cs.sc.edu/~mgv/ tlx: 805038 USC

* Re: Is anybody teaching Pl1 these days?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1996-10-10  0:00 ` arbuckl
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: arbuckl @ 1996-10-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <32594044.41C6@lmco.com>, Mike Glasgow <Mike.Glasgow@lmco.com> writes:
>I'm doing a quick and dirty survey to find out if any college/university
>is still teaching programming using PL1.  Passing mention in a history
>snipped...

I don't remember the name of it, but I remember seeing a article in "The
PL/I Connection" about a college or university in MN or WS that was using
the PL/I for OS/2 compiler in their PL/I course.

arbuckl@ibm.net

* Re: Is anybody teaching PL1 these days?
@ 1996-10-11  0:00   ` Aron Felix Gurski
From: Aron Felix Gurski @ 1996-10-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robin Vowels wrote:

> Other PL/I courses (from a first course to advanced)
> are offered at the following:
>
>         California State University
>
>         King's College, Wilkes Barr, Pennsylvania
>
>         Oklahoma State University
>
>         Bankok University
>
>         East Los Angeles College
>
>         North Carolina Central University
>
>         West Virginia State College
>
>         Ferris State University, Big Rapids, Michigan
>
>         City Colleges of Chicago (Northern Illinois University)
>
>         Cleveland State University
>
> Short PL/I courses:
>         - IBM UK
>         - IBM Germany,
>
>         Aspect Computing

There's also at least one university in Australia that teaches PL/I; I
received a copy of their (locally published) textbook recently.

					-- Aron

* Re: Is anybody teaching Pl1 these days?
@ 1996-10-11  0:00     ` Robin Vowels
From: Robin Vowels @ 1996-10-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

	mgv@cs.sc.edu (Marco Valtorta) writes:

	>rav@goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au (Robin Vowels) writes:

	>>Here are some colleges and universities in the USA that are
	>>offering PL/I programming courses.  There are probably many more . . .

	>>We know that some universities/colleges are using PL/I for OS/2,
	>>but whether any of those on the list below is using PL/I for
	>>OS/2 or mainframe or whatever, we don't know . . .

	>>University of South Carolina, College of Science & Mathematics

	>I am afraid that this piece of information is incorrect.  We have not
	>offered a PL/I programming course for several years.  By the way, we
	>have used C++ in our CS-1 course since Fall 1994 and have used Pascal
	>before that for several years.

	>I suspect that your information is based on a list provided at the time that
	>the Department of Computer Science was not a separate entity within the College
	>of Science and Mathematics, but was part of the Department of Mathematics,
	>Computer Science, and Statistics.  This was back in the seventies.

---THe info was obtained fresh from the www on the day
(Wed 9 Oct).

  According to the U/G bulletin for 1995/6, the subject
360 Numerical Calculus requires "a working knowledge of
PL/I programming".  From that, I concluded that somewhere was
a course that taught PL/I.  Perhaps that is taught
by another department?

	>Marco Valtorta, Associate Professor and Undergraduate Director
	>Department of Computer Science  internet: mgv@usceast.cs.sc.edu
	>University of South Carolina    tel.: (1)(803)777-4641 fax: -3767
	>Columbia, SC 29208, U.S.A.      http://www.cs.sc.edu/~mgv/ tlx: 805038 USC

* Re: Is anybody teaching PL1 these days?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1996-10-11  0:00 ` Robin Vowels
From: Robin Vowels @ 1996-10-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1996-10-14  0:00   ` Klaus Johannes Rusch
From: Klaus Johannes Rusch @ 1996-10-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

arbuckl@ibm.net wrote:

> In <32594044.41C6@lmco.com>, Mike Glasgow <Mike.Glasgow@lmco.com> writes:
> >I'm doing a quick and dirty survey to find out if any college/university
> >is still teaching programming using PL1.  Passing mention in a history
> >snipped...

AFAIK there are PL/I courses available at the University of Vienna
(www.univie.ac.at), they are more PL/I courses than general programming
courses though.

Klaus Johannes Rusch
--
e8726057@student.tuwien.ac.at, KlausRusch@atmedia.net
http://www.atmedia.net/KlausRusch/

* Re: Is anybody teaching PL1 these days?
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1996-10-16  0:00 ` Robin Vowels
From: Robin Vowels @ 1996-10-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Other PL/I courses (from a first course to advanced)
are offered at the following:

North Illinois Univerity

Kent State University (Ohio)

Collin County Community College

PL/I Courses at
	- IBM France
	- IBM Canada

* Re: Is anybody teaching PL/I these days?
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1996-10-18  0:00 ` Robin Vowels
From: Robin Vowels @ 1996-10-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Other PL/I courses :

	Mississipi State University

	GMI Engineering & Management Institute, Flint, Michigan

* Re: Is anybody teaching Pl1 these days?
@ 1996-10-18  0:00     ` Thomas Rieper
From: Thomas Rieper @ 1996-10-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)