From: Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net>
To: faceman28208@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Humor fromkipedia
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 09:45:19 +0100
Date: 2006-01-21T09:45:19+01:00	[thread overview]

<verï¿œffentlicht & per Mail versendet>

faceman28208@yahoo.com wrote:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_programming_language
>
> "Ada is a structured, statically typed imperative computer programming
> language designed by a team led by Jean Ichbiah of CII Honeywell Bull
> during 1977-1983. It addresses many of the same tasks as C or C++,
> but with the type-safety of a language like Java. (Some cite Ada as an
> influence on Java.) Ada was named after Ada Lovelace, often credited as
> the first computer programmer."
>
> Maybe the Ada community should adopt the slogan "Ada: Has the
> type-safety of Java" to get people to swith

Read the text again: 1977-1983 - there was no Java at that time. So Ada
could not have taken anything on board from Java.

But you are right: The text should be changed - It's obviously a plug from
the Java comunity to make Java look in a better light as Java's type safety
is a joke - i.E. Java has no distinct integer and real types.

Comparing Java type safety with Ada type safety is a bit like comparing the
crash protection of a BMW C1 Motorbike with a BMW 7 Series Sedan. Both have
a roll-over cage and a seatbelts - sure enough - but only one has dual
front and side airbags, rear side airbags, a Head Protection System,  child
safety locks, Dynamic Stability Control, and side impact protection.

The problem is that most programmers don't even know what good type safety
entails.

If you not a troll after all and really want to know the difference:

  Ada:
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Subtypes
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Types
  Java:
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Java_Programming/Types

Wow, I never expected such drastic difference. Ada 2 chapters with a total
of 19 pages - Java a mere 9 lines.

Martin

Further Links:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_7_Series