* Numerical Routines in Ada
@ 1996-10-04  0:00 Norm Hecht
From: Norm Hecht @ 1996-10-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone know where I could find numerical routines in Ada that
I could download, or if all else fails, some books that would
provide routines such as Runge-Kutta integration, matrix inversion,
finding zeros of functions, etc?
	I'm new at Ada, and figure it would be easier to start doing the
numerical work I need to do if I had some good examples to build on.
	Thanks for your help!

Norm Hecht

* Re: Numerical Routines in Ada
@ 1996-10-05  0:00 ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 1996-10-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norm Hecht <nhecht@fls.infi.net> wrote in article
<3255B98B.7832@fls.infi.net>...
> Does anyone know where I could find numerical routines in Ada that
> I could download, or if all else fails, some books that would
> provide routines such as Runge-Kutta integration, matrix inversion,
> finding zeros of functions, etc?
> 	I'm new at Ada, and figure it would be easier to start doing the
> numerical work I need to do if I had some good examples to build on.
> 	Thanks for your help!
>
> Norm Hecht

The Data Fusion Lab of Drexel University has released the initial version
of an Ada 95 matrix package done under a DISA research grant which can be
found via the home page for the project --
"http://dflwww.ece.drexel.edu/research/ada/" which contains a link to the
code at"ftp://dflwww.ece.drexel.edu/pub/ada/ada95_matrix_package.tar.Z".

I have a number of criticisms of this package which I have not yet
articulated -- e.g., poor code reuse, and poor reporting of test results.

However, the package does compile and link as is under gnat304a for
Win95/WinNT.  The test results for the real_arrays state Failures = 0, and
the results for complex_arrays state Failures = 2. From the format of the
test results I deduce that the problem is with the matrix multiplication
function, but I have not pursued this any further, as yet.

The readme file which comes with the package also has pointers to other
resources both electronic and hard copy, which you may find useful.

--
David C. Hoos, Sr.,
http://www.dbhwww.com

* Re: Numerical Routines in Ada
@ 1996-10-15  0:00 Laurent Gasser
From: Laurent Gasser @ 1996-10-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3255B98B.7832@fls.infi.net>, Norm Hecht <nhecht@fls.infi.net> writes:
> Does anyone know where I could find numerical routines in Ada that
> I could download, or if all else fails, some books that would
> provide routines such as Runge-Kutta integration, matrix inversion,
> finding zeros of functions, etc?
> 	I'm new at Ada, and figure it would be easier to start doing the
> numerical work I need to do if I had some good examples to build on.
> 	Thanks for your help!
>
> Norm Hecht

It took me some time to get my hands on the french book I was thinking
of.  And here it is

  Jean-Etienne Rombaldi
  "Algorithmique numerique et Ada"
  Masson 1994
  ISBN 2-225-84384-8

This book comes with a DOS floppy disk, with packages written in Ada 83
for OpenAda.  It goes through the following topics:

  linear numerical analysis (matrices, linear systems, eigenvalues)
  non-linear systems (Newton, roots of polynomials)
  approximation and interpolation (Bernstein, Bezier, B-Splines)
  numeric approximation of integrals (Gauus, Monte-Carlo, FFT)
  ordinary differential equations (Runge-Kutta, shooting method)
  finite differences

The author has now moved.  But I would bet that he keeps working
with Ada.

--
Laurent Gasser (lga@sma.ch)
Computers do not solve problems, they execute solutions.