From: mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman)
Subject: Re: GNAT Compilation Problems
Date: 1996/10/11
Date: 1996-10-11T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <dewar.844905925@merv>, Robert Dewar <dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu> wrote:

>This is very bad advice, as you will find out from reading gnatinfo.txt,
>the proper way to compile programs using GNAT from the DOS prompt or
>anywhere else is to use gnatmake. There is very seldom a reason for typing
>in a gcc command.

I agree with Robert here in general. OTOH, for beginners who have
started out with GNAT-DOS using the ez2load package, we provide some
simplified commands (gcompile/glink/gexecute) that behave consistenly
with the AdaCAPS editor.

For example, gcompile produces a listing file but, more important, they
compile and link so that our special backtrace stuff works.

In this case, the answer for the student is

gcompile foo.adb
glink foo.ali
gexecute foo.exe

This is documented in the ez2load documentation.

Our Solaris scripts work the same way. Robert, I think you may even be
using those scripts in your course at NYU.:-)

Mike Feldman