* Using Custom Icons in a Gtk3 program
@ 2014-03-01  9:12 ldries46
From: ldries46 @ 2014-03-01  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am creating a Gtk3 program in Ada and want using custom Icons. In Gtk3 I
cannot find much of a description how to do that.
I am using Glade 3 to describe my GUI and found in the description of the
main window a place where I can enter the name of an icon file.
I want to know the following points:
1. Do I have to enter two icons one for the top of the window and one for
the program to preset below in the bar. and where do I enter them
2. What is the format of the different icons.
3. What has the next item in the Glade window to do with the icons.
4. Is there somewhere an example of how to do it

L. Dries

* Re: Using Custom Icons in a Gtk3 program
@ 2014-03-01 10:02 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2014-03-01 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 1 Mar 2014 10:12:06 +0100, ldries46 wrote:

> I am creating a Gtk3 program in Ada and want using custom Icons. In Gtk3 I
> cannot find much of a description how to do that.

Gtk.Icon_Source and Gtk.Stock, specifically Gtk_New + Add_Static.

There are other ways too.

?

> 2. What is the format of the different icons.

The format is dependent on the rendering engine backend, whether the icon
is resident in the RAM or in the device etc. The application should never
worry about that.

> 4. Is there somewhere an example of how to do it

for Gtk2 see:

http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de/ada/gtkada_contributions.htm#3

Gtk3 is slightly different.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: Using Custom Icons in a Gtk3 program
@ 2014-03-02  8:45   ` ldries46
From: ldries46 @ 2014-03-02  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> 1. Do I have to enter two icons one for the top of the window and one for
> >the program to preset below in the bar. and where do I enter them
>
>?
In Visual C++ 6 I needed to create 2 icons of different size for in the
titel bar of the mainwindow and for outside the program for instance the
lower bar of the screen

@ 2014-03-02  9:12     ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2014-03-02  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 2 Mar 2014 09:45:59 +0100, ldries46 wrote:

>>> 1. Do I have to enter two icons one for the top of the window and one for
>>>the program to preset below in the bar. and where do I enter them
>>
>>?
> In Visual C++ 6 I needed to create 2 icons of different size for in the
> titel bar of the mainwindow and for outside the program for instance the
> lower bar of the screen

In GTK the icon source (Gtk_Icon_Source) may hold multiple images of
different sizes, more than 2. When the requested size (Icon_Size_Menu,
Icon_Size_Small_Toolbar etc) is missing the icon is scaled as appropriate.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov