From: sandee@Think.COM (Daan Sandee)
Subject: Re: Results of my test: Re: Friday 13th, try it yourself
Date: 1996/10/03
Date: 1996-10-03T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <bii3ezwnwlc.fsf@sbil.co.uk>, James Gillespie <jim.gillespie@sbil.co.uk> writes:
|>     At the risk of prolonging this thread, there has been recent
|> discussion over how long a time period must be analysed to get a
|> correct distribution.  One value put forward was 4800 years.  While
|> this is very interesting in a theoretical way, what about the last
|> hundred years or so?  If Friday 13ths are unevenly spread through the
|> 4800 years there must be local maxima and minima.  Are we currently in
|> an epoch in which there are a comparatively large number of Friday
|> 13ths?

Jim, this thread has already gone around the circle twice, and you are
now starting a third iteration.  All this was thrashed out weeks ago.
The Gregorian calendar repeats the days of the week in a 400-year cycle
of 146,097 days or 20,871 weeks.  Of the 4,800 13ths in that 400-year
period, 688 are on a Friday, more than on any other day of the week.
This answers the original question, and all other answers are either
wrong or irrelevant.
Now can everyone go on to programming in their favorite language ?  And
can anyone remember who started this thread, so we can go back and
retroactively refuse him an account with Usenet access ?

Daan Sandee
Burlington, MA                                           sandee@think.com