* Q. on install GNAT304a in Win95
@ 1996-10-01  0:00 Xuren Huang
From: Xuren Huang @ 1996-10-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am new in both Ada and win95.  I have recently downloaded win95
version of GNAT304a from NYU, installed it, but when I run
"setpath.bat", the computer showed "run out of environment space", and
none of the pathes can be set.  I have followed the instructions came
with GNAT304a to set "memory --> initial Environment" to be 4096 at
"properties" of "command.com", but, this has not solved the problem.
Please shine some light on this. Any help will greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

* Re: Q. on install GNAT304a in Win95
@ 1996-10-02  0:00 ` Tony Picarello
From: Tony Picarello @ 1996-10-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I had a problem with the environment space also.  I fixed the problem by
setting the "initial environment" memory to 8192.  Haven't had a problem
since.
--
Tony Picarello
primate@worldnet.att.net

Xuren Huang <Xuren.Huang@mail.wdn.com> wrote in article
<3251E029.6735@mail.wdn.com>...

@ 1996-10-02  0:00   ` William Frye
From: William Frye @ 1996-10-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tony Picarello (primate@worldnet.att.net) wrote:
: I had a problem with the environment space also.  I fixed the problem by
: setting the "initial environment" memory to 8192.  Haven't had a problem
: since.
: --
: Tony Picarello
: primate@worldnet.att.net

: Xuren Huang <Xuren.Huang@mail.wdn.com> wrote in article
: <3251E029.6735@mail.wdn.com>...
: > "setpath.bat", the computer showed "run out of environment space", and
: > none of the pathes can be set.  I have followed the instructions came
: > with GNAT304a to set "memory --> initial Environment" to be 4096 at
: > "properties" of "command.com", but, this has not solved the problem.
I had problems with this and no value that I set for "initial environment
memory" worked.  After consulting with a local guru, I found that
the problem was one of permissions and the only reliable way to
solve it was to run setpath from the autoexec file which has
sufficient permissions. (as for what "permssions" are involved-
dun't esk).

* Re: Q. on install GNAT304a in Win95
@ 1996-10-02  0:00 ` Roumen Roupski
From: Roumen Roupski @ 1996-10-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Xuren Huang <Xuren.Huang@mail.wdn.com> wrote in article
<3251E029.6735@mail.wdn.com>...
> I am new in both Ada and win95.  I have recently downloaded win95
> version of GNAT304a from NYU, installed it, but when I run
> "setpath.bat", the computer showed "run out of environment space", and
> none of the pathes can be set.  I have followed the instructions came
> with GNAT304a to set "memory --> initial Environment" to be 4096 at
> "properties" of "command.com", but, this has not solved the problem.
> Please shine some light on this. Any help will greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Just add the following line in your config.sys file:

shell=c:\dos\command.com /e:2048

This line sets the initial environment size to 2048 bytes. I think it
should be enough for you.

Roumen Roupski
Roumen.Roupski@Pika.Ca
Pika Technologies Inc.

* Re: Q. on install GNAT304a in Win95
@ 1996-10-02  0:00 ` Tom Griest
From: Tom Griest @ 1996-10-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3251E029.6735@mail.wdn.com> Xuren.Huang@mail.wdn.com writes:
>I am new in both Ada and win95.  I have recently downloaded win95
>version of GNAT304a from NYU, installed it, but when I run
>"setpath.bat", the computer showed "run out of environment space", and
>none of the pathes can be set.  I have followed the instructions came
>with GNAT304a to set "memory --> initial Environment" to be 4096 at
>"properties" of "command.com", but, this has not solved the problem.
>Please shine some light on this. Any help will greatly appreciated.

What I have seen is that there are sometimes multiple command.com
files and I believe the wrong one has had its properties set.  I
think the most sure-fire way to do it is to create a shortcut on
the desktop to command.com and then change the properties of the
shortcut.  Another approach is to put a "call c:\gnat304a\setpath.bat"
in an autoexec.bat file in the top level directory.  This last
approach is easier for the novice.  You may have to restart windows
to make the autoexec take effect.

-Tom