From: Uri Raz <uraz@iil.intel.com>
Subject: Re: long term viability of Ada
Date: 1996/10/01
Date: 1996-10-01T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

frank@bigdog.engr.arizona.edu (Frank Manning) wrote:
>In article <529vd7$h9l@lex.zippo.com> nasser@apldbio.com writes:
>>In article <529n5f$k68@news.ccit.arizona.edu>, frank@bigdog.engr.arizona.edu
>>says...
>>
>>> I question whether you can
>>> draw any valid conclusions on this subject by studying classified ads.
>>>

>> Really?  If you see 1000 ads asking for skill A, and 1 asking for skill B,
>> are you saying I can't draw any conclusion from this?
>
> You can draw the conclusion that 1000 ads are asking for skill A and
> one is asking for skill B. Beyond that, what?
>
> Does that tell me there are 1000 times as many workers using skill A
> compared to skill B? No. The ratio may be greater or less than 1000.
> Maybe by a large amount. Who knows?

  You can conclude as following :
   1. The demand for skill A within companies is greater then offered by
      people within those companies.
   2. The demand for skill B within companies is satisfied by people
      within those companies.
   3. The chances of one to find a job are greatly enhanced if he acquires
      skill A, but are not if he acquires skill B.

  This would not indicate anything about the usage of the skill, as the ads
  only indicate the difference between how many people with the skill are
  needed and how many people with the skill are already working.

  e.g. there are many more lines of code written in f77 or cobol then there
  are lines of code written in any of the new languages (JAVA, HTML), but
  the demand for programmers in the old languages is low (the code is stable,
  positions already filled in past years, etc), while the demand for
  programmers in the new languages is high (as jobs are created, but not
  many people can yet do them).

  I dont think that anything but a large survey (in both area and time) could
  say how many lines of code in various languages was/is/will be developed,
  how many programmers were/are/will be needed to code in each language and
  say how viable those languages are.

 Uri Raz.

 | Uri Raz | uraz@iil.intel.com |  Noir | :-) | :-( |
 |   All opinions are mine. Others may share them.  |