From: "G.B." <rm-dash-bau-haus@dash.futureapps.de>
Subject: Re: Kilogram constant defined in package System.Dim.Other_Prefixes (s-dmotpr.ads)
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2014 19:10:34 +0100
Date: 2014-02-04T19:10:35+01:00	[thread overview]

On 04.02.14 18:44, adambeneschan@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 4, 2014 9:26:05 AM UTC-8, Anh Vo wrote:
>> The Kilogram constants defined in package System.Dim.Other_Prefixes (s-dmotpr.ads) look different compared to others such as Meter, Second,... In addition, the values do not match with names in the comments on the right side. I would like to know why. By the way, the Meter, Kilogram and Second constant are repeated here for easy discussion.
>
> "Kilo" is a prefix, so why is there a section on "SI prefixes for Kilogram" in the first place?  (Instead of "SI prefixes for Gram".)

I guess "Kilogram" reflects MKS of the SI base units
(meters, kilograms, seconds); this explains the difference
of 3 in the exponent of 10, accounting for base unit's
weight of 1_000 grams.

GNAT changes the official SI prefix for micro-, which is µ,
to u. This seems in line with geeky use and with avoiding
plain text character π from the reference manual. (I understand
that the US Navy has lifted the former restriction on the
number of bits to be used for characters?)