From: jussi@sydney.DIALix.oz.au (Jussi Jumppanen)
Subject: Re: Ada Editor
Date: 1996/09/25
Date: 1996-09-25T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert Dewar (dewar@cs.nyu.edu) wrote:
: Jussi said
:
: "You could try:
:   Zeus for Windows,Win32 Editor
:   A powerful Brief, Epsilon, Wordstar and Emacs compatible programmer's
:   text editor for Windows 3.x, Windows 95 and NT."
:
: An impressive claim! Emacs compatible? In that case you should be able
: to install the EMACS Ada mode stuff??

There is only so much description that can be put in a tag line :)

The emacs "Emacs compatible" claim is only keyboard look and feel. I
don't support the lisp backend to emacs that lets emacs do almost
anything. But for a Zeus exe size of 800 KBytes I don't think there
are many things (in terms of a programmers editor) that emacs can
that Zeus can not. There may even be a few things that Zeus can do
that emacs can not :)

> to install the EMACS Ada mode stuff??
In terms of Ada support, Zeus will highlight ada keywords, run the
compile in the background and provide in edit error navigation (I
am assuming this as Zeus has no trouble running TASM, MSVC++, BC++,
DJGPP C++ compilers and a host of other command line compilers and
tools).

Please don't flame me on this. Editors are very personal things and
who is to say one editor is better than another. I personally use Zeus
in Brief mode as I find Brief the best editor for software development
but this is only one of many opinions on the subject.

Jussi Jumppanen (jussij@ca.com.au)
Author of: Zeus for Windows, Win32 (Brief, WordStar, Emacs clone) Editor
Home Page: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jussi/