From: Pascal Obry <pascal@obry.net>
Subject: Re: Compiler Revisions Should go Out As Well as Going Up.
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 14:24:12 +0100
Date: 2013-12-11T14:24:12+01:00	[thread overview]

Le 11/12/2013 13:11, Austin Obyrne a écrit :
> Decoded, I am saying here that there is a tendency in my opinion to
> view new compiler versions in a hierarchal sequence that tacitly
> suggest one should always use the most recent compiler version.

Right.

>  I don’t think this is right

Wrong.

> and instead older compilers should still be
> kept in hand as befits the users’ needs for specific applications
> without any suggestion of being outdated.

That's a really strange view. First many bugs are fixed from version to
version and the code being generated is always going in the right
direction. And since you noted that in another thread there is a huge
set of bug fixed since 3.11p in GNAT GPL 2013. The backend (GCC) has
also been updated many times since then and is generating lot faster code.

> Very often there is
> nothing to be gained except a whole load of trouble in changing to
> newer compiler versions of the same language.

That's plain wrong. And almost an insult to the people who have
development the compiler since all those years!

--
  Pascal Obry /  Magny Les Hameaux (78)

  The best way to travel is by means of imagination

  http://v2p.fr.eu.org
  http://www.obry.net

  gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key F949BD3B