* Experimental Continuous Integration system for open source Ada projects
@ 2013-08-12  5:40 Tero Koskinen
From: Tero Koskinen @ 2013-08-12  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I have setup an experimental continuous integration system
for open source Ada projects at
  http://build.ada-language.com/

The system builds selected set of projects in regular intervals using 3
different Ada compilers (GNAT, Janus/Ada, ICCAda) on two platforms
(Windows 7, Debian/amd64 7.0).

The idea is to see how well the projects can be built with different
compilers and to catch changes which break portability.

For now, I have included only projects which are known to be portable
across compilers and which have public source code repository available.

The system is implemented by running Jenkins[1] on a cheap "lowend"
virtual private server (from waveride.at), so there are no availability
or uptime guarantees and the server might get wiped out at any moment
(I do backups and the server + connections have been stable for a month
or so, but still...)

If you want to get your project listed and built, please send me an
email.

And to get useful results, please make sure that your project doesn't
use any GNAT.* packages or GNAT-specific features (like 'Img). Keeping
external dependencies in minimum also helps.

For security reasons, I don't allow any builds commands (like "make")
to be run. Instead, I include all build commands directly to the
Jenkins, so I know what is executed. (So, if your project source files
need some specific treatment and cannot be compiled with "gnatmake
mainprocedure", please mention that.)

--
Tero Koskinen - http://iki.fi/tero.koskinen/

[1] http://jenkins-ci.org/

* Re: Experimental Continuous Integration system for open source Ada projects
@ 2013-08-12  8:01 ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2013-08-12  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12.08.13 07:40, Tero Koskinen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have setup an experimental continuous integration system
> for open source Ada projects at
>    http://build.ada-language.com/
>
> The system builds selected set of projects in regular intervals using 3
> different Ada compilers (GNAT, Janus/Ada, ICCAda) on two platforms
> (Windows 7, Debian/amd64 7.0).
>
> The idea is to see how well the projects can be built with different
> compilers and to catch changes which break portability.

Applause from here! I don't know---because no one pays for
unaccountable time---how much time I have spent on looking
for language modules that work with systems and versions.

Even languages of ubiquitous presence continue to affect
projects with portability-caused problems, in basic modules
in particular. So, a setup such as yours for Ada can draw
attention to the "desease" and let managers see the impact
and savings resulting from well-made subsystems that were
checked for portability!

* Re: Experimental Continuous Integration system for open source Ada projects
@ 2013-08-14 13:19   ` G.B.
From: G.B. @ 2013-08-14 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12.08.13 10:01, Georg Bauhaus wrote:
> On 12.08.13 07:40, Tero Koskinen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have setup an experimental continuous integration system
>> for open source Ada projects at
>>    http://build.ada-language.com/
>>
>> The system builds selected set of projects in regular intervals using 3
>> different Ada compilers (GNAT, Janus/Ada, ICCAda) on two platforms
>> (Windows 7, Debian/amd64 7.0).
>>
>> The idea is to see how well the projects can be built with different
>> compilers and to catch changes which break portability.
>
> Applause from here! I don't know---because no one pays for
> unaccountable time---how much time I have spent on looking
> for language modules that work with systems and versions.

This should be "time not billable" I guess, sorry. (False friends...)