From: mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman)
Subject: Re: Gov't, non-DoD use of Ada
Date: 1996/09/20
Date: 1996-09-20T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <gwinn-1809961848150001@smc19.ed.ray.com>,
Joe Gwinn <gwinn@res.ray.com> wrote:
>In article <50uoh3$s4q@felix.seas.gwu.edu>, mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael
>Feldman) wrote:
>
>> Interesting Projects (mostly non-defense)
>> in which Ada is used to at least a significant degree.
>>
>> I am just getting starting with this categorization by domain;
>> I know the list is incomplete. I am very interested in getting
>> additions, corrections, and additional domains; I want the data
>> to be current and verifiable.
>
>It would be interesting to know the size of these systems, in lines of
>code, segregated by language, and in dollars.  (I bet you will find lots
>of fortran still in use.  And Jovial.  Maybe even some assembly.)

I agree, but of course it would take at least one full-time person
to research all that. My goal in that list is not to produce a detailed
abstract on each of those projects, but to give the community
something in bullet-list form that they can crib and paste into
their Ada "sales pitches".

Even if there were resources to dig all that info out, many of the
projects mentioned in that list came from tips from (presumably) reliable
sources. There were even a few "you didn;t hear this from me" messages.
Not all companies are thrilled at seeing their stories told publicly,
so all I'm doing is putting a line on that list.

>Also, how much unique code is involved?  For instance, the ATC systems
>have lots of reused code in them; each ATC system developer has a code
>base that they sell time after time, with (in theory) minor changes.  One
>hopes and assumes that the code for all those Boeing 7x7 aircraft is
>mostly common, and well-tested.

Yes indeed. Nothing wrong in that, is there? One tip I got was a fax
of a 1992 paper in a European equivalent to "Aviation Week", written by
J.F. Wets, a top manager at Thomson/CSF. At that time, they were getting
_very_ high reuse (approaching 80%!) from one country's ATC to another.
This guy - the ATC group VP, not a sales type - said it was "impossible"
that Thomson/CSF or any of its competitors would propose an ATC system
that would _not_ use Ada.

Compare this to the geniuses at the FAA.

I'm trying to find a way to get an update to that article. Anyone
who can help out there?

>Joe Gwinn

Mike Feldman