* Ada and PostgreSQL
@ 2007-01-23 14:30 Maciej Sobczak
From: Maciej Sobczak @ 2007-01-23 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I must have been quite a pain for you recently with my questions and
nit-picking ;-), but at the end I have finished my exercise and built a
*very* simple Ada client library for PostgreSQL.
You can find it here:

http://msobczak.com/prog/bin/pgAda.tar.gz

Please consider it as a starting point for what should be a *true*
database library, but there are also chances that in simpler projects it
might be exactly what is needed.

Your comments are of course welcome.

Programming    : http://www.msobczak.com/prog/

* Re: Ada and PostgreSQL
@ 2007-01-23 15:42 ` Alex R. Mosteo
From: Alex R. Mosteo @ 2007-01-23 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maciej Sobczak wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I must have been quite a pain for you recently with my questions and
> nit-picking ;-), but at the end I have finished my exercise and built a
> *very* simple Ada client library for PostgreSQL.
> You can find it here:
>
> http://msobczak.com/prog/bin/pgAda.tar.gz
>
> Please consider it as a starting point for what should be a *true*
> database library, but there are also chances that in simpler projects it
> might be exactly what is needed.
>
> Your comments are of course welcome.

Have you taken a look at GNADE postgresql binding? It has some points in
common to yours; it is more limited in some aspects (transactions and query
parameters).

I'd look into making transactions in such a way that declaring it in some
scope provides automatic operation, e.g.:

declare
   T : Transaction (Db'Access); -- Automatic start of transaction
                                -- via Initialize
begin
   Query (.... T); -- Automatic rollback on failure here
end;               -- Automatic commit on Finalize

I'm doing it with a wrapper over Gnu.Db.Postgresql and it is quite handy.

In any case is nice to see more support for this database.

* Re: Ada and PostgreSQL
@ 2007-03-28  4:27 ` Michael Erdmann
From: Michael Erdmann @ 2007-03-28  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maciej Sobczak wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I must have been quite a pain for you recently with my questions and
> nit-picking ;-), but at the end I have finished my exercise and built a
> *very* simple Ada client library for PostgreSQL.
> You can find it here:
>
> http://msobczak.com/prog/bin/pgAda.tar.gz

Dear Mr. Sobczak,

i am running the GNADE project at sourceforge. Have you any intention
to maintain this code in the future?

If so, i would like the idea that you store the code in the CVS of
GNADE. The idea of GNADE is not only to provide an developement
environment for db related applications but also to store the different
approaches and working results at a central point.

Regards
	M. Erdmann