* PC-Based Ada Dev Environment for Embedded 80186
@ 1996-09-12  0:00 Alex P. Madarasz, Jr.
From: Alex P. Madarasz, Jr. @ 1996-09-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Any recommendations / pointers for tools to set up a PC-based Ada-83
development environment for embedded 80186 processors?

We're looking at modifying some existing code which is currently
cross-compiled on a VAX under VMS, and I'm looking for possible
alternatives.

 Alex P. Madarasz, Jr. - Hughes Training, Inc. - alex@eagle.bgm.link.com

* Re: PC-Based Ada Dev Environment for Embedded 80186
@ 1996-09-13  0:00 ` John Howard
From: John Howard @ 1996-09-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex P. Madarasz, Jr.

On Thu, 12 Sep 1996, Alex P. Madarasz, Jr. wrote:
> Any recommendations / pointers for tools to set up a PC-based Ada-83
> development environment for embedded 80186 processors?
>
> We're looking at modifying some existing code which is currently
> cross-compiled on a VAX under VMS, and I'm looking for possible
> alternatives.

You mainly need to find an Ada 83 compiler for DOS real mode.  I'd
recommend you use a powerful PC host operating system and a DOS-based
compiler that generates 16-bit data bus, non-priviledge mode code.  You'll
probably want assembler output for possible tweaking and verification.
And you'll likely choose the tiny memory model so you can manage a simple
format COM image file size within 64KB.  FWIW, Borland Turbo Assembler
(TASM) v3.2 and Microsoft Assembler (MASM) v5.0 support CPU specific
directives for the 80186.

For a powerful PC host I use 32-bit OS/2.  16-bit OS/2 v1.3 was designed
for reliable multitasking with a 80286 PC circa 1990.  OS/2 v1.3 is
commonly embedded in kiosks for automatic teller machines.  I've been
using OS/2 v3.0 "Warp" on a 80486 since October 1994.  I have used it to
host development of Windows v3.1 applications, DOS Protected Mode
Interface (DPMI) and DOS real mode applications (mostly using Borland
Pascal commandline compilers).  I now use GNAT Ada 95 for some DPMI and
all OS/2 programming.

OS/2 v4.0 "Merlin" will be released this month.  Merlin is an improvement
on reliable 32-bit OS/2 Warp.  Merlin provides Voice Type Dictation on a
Pentium 90 Mhz or higher.  OS/2 Warp and Merlin provide truly useful
object-oriented interfaces.  Plus OS/2 is more reliable than Microsoft
Windows resulting in fewer general protection faults (GPF) for Windows
programs running within OS/2.

A benefit of using OS/2 as the host environment while developing software
is the flexibility to target backward-compatible versions of DOS, OS/2, or
Windows.  OS/2 enables you to integrate software from the widest selection
of PC-based applications.  That capability is what you are going to need
if you want a flexible development environment which can combine the old
with the new.

-- John Howard <jhoward@sky.net>               -- Team Ada  Team OS/2 --

* Re: PC-Based Ada Dev Environment for Embedded 80186
@ 1996-09-14  0:00 tmoran
From: tmoran @ 1996-09-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>You mainly need to find an Ada 83 compiler for DOS real mode.  I'd
>recommend you use a powerful PC host operating system and a DOS-based
>compiler that generates 16-bit data bus, non-priviledge mode code.  You'll
>probably want assembler output for possible tweaking and verification.
>And you'll likely choose the tiny memory model so you can manage a simple
>format COM image file size within 64KB.  FWIW, Borland Turbo Assembler
  I imagine RR Software will still sell you an Ada 83 compiler targetting
DOS 16 bit real mode.  I've used it under both DOS and OS/2 as host.
Check www.rrsoftware.com  And of course there's the Heath (nee Meridian)
which may work, or an old Thomson (nee Alsys) compiler (www.thomson.com?)

* Re: PC-Based Ada Dev Environment for Embedded 80186
@ 1996-09-14  0:00 ` Jim Dorman
From: Jim Dorman @ 1996-09-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you are looking for a PC platform to work on your embedded 80186
project, I have several alternatives for you.  All are complete development
systems with GUI environments that contain a ton of Ada-sensitive tools
such as

 * MARK A BLOCK of code with two simple mouse clicks and then comment out
   the whole block of code.  You can also reverse this process in case that
wasn't          the problem.

*  POINT & CLICK code generation. Generate complete, syntactically correct
   Ada Program Units and Types with a simple mouse click.

* INTERACTIVE ERROR CORRECTION. Automatically alert you with a BEEP
  each time you press the <Enter> key if the line of code you just entered
contains
  an error.  Or read the error listing and automatically searchs out
errors, highlighting
  the line on which the error occurs, places the cursor as close as
possible to the
  source of the error, and displays a simple English message describing the
nature
  of the error.  HotKey to each successive error and make your repairs "on
the fly".

* SET UP COMPILER and Binder with simple menu choices. Set up Debug, Trim,
  Optimization switches and more by making simple menu choices.  The
  environment remembers your choices for the next time.  No complicated
  command line syntax to remember.

* CUT & PASTE from included libraries or other source files.  Simply choose
the
  library or file you want to use as your source and then "cut & paste" the
functions,
  procedures, or complete code sections into your application.

* AUTOMATIC CODE FORMATTING is accomplished to your specifications as
  defined with simple menu choices.  Choose from different Ada styles, set
up
  indent spacing, and then let the environment automatically format your
Ada code
  "on-the-fly" each time you press the <Enter> key.

* COLORED SOURCE CODE is standard on all systems with a Windows interface,
  such as IntegrAda for Windows, IntegrAda for Windows/NT, and Visual
Ada95.
  These systems also feature multiple document interfaces (MDI). You Pick
the
  Colors.

* MULTIPLE TARGETS are possible by simply setting a switch on the Compiler
  Menu to target 80x86, 80186, 80286, 80386, 80486.  Code can then be
optimized
  for that target.  Some systems, such as IntegrAda/386, offer both SMALL &

  MEDIUM memory model 16-bit and LARGE 32-bit capabilities.  Each is
selectable
  from a simple menu.  Other systems allow targeting both DOS or WINDOWS
  development by simply selecting the operating system of your choice.

We specialize in commercial Ada compilers, libraries, and development tools
for the PC.  Demo disks and online brochures are available from our WEB
site at:
  http://www.pcada.com

Stop by, if you still have a question, or need more information, we have
simple email connections where you can send us your questions.  Or leave us
a comment when you fill out our Guest Register.  We'd love to hear from
you.

Oh yes, look for our END OF FY SPECIALS!  They'll be posted soon.

--
Jim Dorman
Active Engineering Technologies, Inc.

Alex P. Madarasz, Jr. <alex@eagle.bgm.link.com> wrote in article
<32381EE3.15FB@eagle.bgm.link.com>...

@ 1996-09-20  0:00 ` Jim Dorman
From: Jim Dorman @ 1996-09-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you want to "see it all in one place" stop by the Home of PCADA at
"http://www.pcada.com".  You can look at IntegrAda, Janus/Ada, or Alsys
information.

We also have commercial environments, design & documentation tools,
ready-made libraries (including graphics with animation), and much more to
support all three compilers.

Why not drop by and download a FREE DEMO of our Windows or DOS products and
read the "online" brochures.

If you need Embedded Systems for Intel, that's available also. And it
doesn't cost you $30K either.  More information is in the brochure.

If you have any other questions, just send us some email or pick up the
telephone.
--

tmoran@bix.com wrote in article <51ff6c$6jd@news2.delphi.com>...