From: "Thomas Løcke" <thomas@12boo.net>
Subject: Re: anyone running is aws and postgresql website?
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 13:43:54 +0200
Date: 2013-06-19T13:43:54+02:00	[thread overview]

On 06/18/2013 07:05 PM, johannes falcone wrote:
> Curious how well ada handles maintenance and evolution?

A lot of Ada software is being build to stand the test of time, so in
general Ada handles maintenance and evolution very well.

> Also, do you have memcached active to help with caching database results?

I've had no need for memcached, as it feels rather pointless in an AWS
powered application. With AWS you don't really suffer from the same
issues as you do with something like Apache+PHP.

> Performance I assume is awesome.

It's far above what you will get with some of the more traditional web
frameworks. Bear in mind though that AWS will not help you if your DB
is poorly designed, or your queries are crap. An AWS powered application
waiting for PostgreSQL to complete an insane query against a crap schema
is just as slow as a PHP powered application.

> Are the any other factors to recomend such a combination over say rails or other run of mill popular frameworks?

To be honest, not really. The biggest recommendation is the fact that
you're building your web-application in Ada, but that's a rather poor
reason for going down the AWS road if you SUPER AWESOME at programming
in Ruby and crap at Ada.

Go with what you're good at, unless you have the time and resources to
learn something new/better.

Maciej mentions the fact that you deploy your application as a single
executable, and while I agree with him in that that for sure is a great
thing, it is not something unique to AWS/Ada - you can get that with
other languages also.

AWS is solid and Ada is great. If you know and like Ada, then building
your web application using AWS is a pretty nice experience.

:)

--
Thomas Løcke | thomas@12boo.net | http://12boo.net