From: Georg Bauhaus <rm.dash-bauhaus@futureapps.de>
Subject: Re: GCC 4.8.0 for Mac OS X
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 08:30:05 +0200
Date: 2013-06-19T08:30:04+02:00	[thread overview]

On 19.06.13 00:48, paulohsantosol@gmail.com wrote:

> and put /opt/gcc-4.8.0/bin first on your PATH.
>
> I didn't understand the last line.
> What do I have to put in the bin directory after I created it?

PATH is the name of an environment variable. ($PATH (on Unix) or %PATH%
(on Windows) lists directories of the filesystem that have executable
programs, there to be found by process looking for them. In this case,
the process executing the shell would be looking for the executable
programs of GCC. In other cases, an IDE would be looking into $PATH
to find the same programs.)

I's helped me to become familiar with operating system concepts
such as these before trying to make use of the command line.