From: full@news.syspac.com (full)
Subject: RE: Mac OS System 8 & Ada95
Date: 1996/09/11
Date: 1996-09-11T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <1996Sep10.102855.1@eisner>
kilgallen@eisner.decus.org (Larry Kilgallen) writes:

> Everything I have heard so far indicates that for 68K the resultant
> applications can run only under the Tenon environment.  That means
> someone writing a commercial application would only be able to sell
> it to customers who also bought the Tenon environment.

Larry is correct 68k apps are machten only.  I have looked at what it
will take to get 68k apps to be generated by the ppc version of the
compiler. i have built a 68k cross compiler in the past.  the nice
thing about gnat is that source is available and we can enhance it to
meet our needs.  i have spent a lot of time working on gnat for the mac
in the last year, and with a LOT of help from ACT i have a fair
understanding of gnat and gnat tasking on the mac.  i obviously cant do
it all, one of mac-gnat team is working on improved thin bindings, a
user has released a first cut at a thick binding and mac OS application
framework.  its still in the early stages but it is something to build
on.  i am working on IDE, and i know that mike Feldman is think along
the lines of getting his students working on a mac IDE as they did for
dos.  there was a lot of requests for Mac Ada its here now its real,
but its a basis for growth!  I have gotten a lot of help from the gnat
team, and i am more than willing to give some of it back to the ada
community by helping others build on gnat-mac!

best jim