* AdaIDE Question
@ 1996-09-07  0:00 Spasmo
From: Spasmo @ 1996-09-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Heya all, long time no see :)

Ok, I recently decided to get a hold of Ada for Win that could
support long filenames (I couldn't take mangling my package
names anymore), so I leeched Gnat 3.04a (the most recent Win
related one I could find).  Anyway, it looked allright and
I then proceeded to help myself to a helping of AdaIDE 2.4,
which is pretty cool.  Still there are 2 things which are bugging
me about the AdaIDE.

	1) The tabs are way too large but there seems to be no way
	   that I can customize them.

	2) To find my errors I have to open @errors.lst, which
	   gets tedious after a while, but again I could find
	   no way to get the IDE to automatically open this file
	   after compilation.

I picked through the directory for batch files that I could
tinker with, but could find nothing.  Is there a way I could
do any of the above, or am I stuck?  If so, are there any other
editors that don't have the above limitations, but which provide
for the same nice interfacing capability that AdaIDE has (with
regards to compiling and so forth)?

BTW, I also picked through the help files and couldn't find
anything.

--
Spasmo
"John Wayne was a Nazi, he liked to play SS

* Re: AdaIDE Question
@ 1996-09-08  0:00 ` Jussi Jumppanen
From: Jussi Jumppanen @ 1996-09-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Spasmo (cosc19z5@Bayou.UH.EDU) wrote:
: Ok, I recently decided to get a hold of Ada for Win that could
: support long filenames
: [snip..]
:
:    2) To find my errors I have to open @errors.lst, which
:       gets tedious after a while, but again I could find
:       no way to get the IDE to automatically open this file
:       after compilation.
: [snip..]
: If so, are there any other
: editors that don't have the above limitations, but which provide
: for the same nice interfacing capability that AdaIDE has (with
: regards to compiling and so forth)?

You should check out Zeus for Windows or Zeus for Win32. This is
a generic IDE editor that supports almost any language and is
highly configurable. For more info see the Zeus home page:

   http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jussi/

NOTE: I will be adding an Ada95 list of keywords text file to this
      page in the next few days to help with the syntax highlighting
      so for the time being you will need to enter the keywords by
      hand.

Jussi Jumppanen (jussij@ca.com.au)
Author of: Hardware Digital Logic Analyers for Windows
           Zeus for Windows, Win32 (Brief, WordStar, Emacs clone) Editor
"The ultimate programmers editor and development environment"

@ 1996-09-09  0:00 ` Dave Retherford
From: Dave Retherford @ 1996-09-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <50ras0$sgb@Masala.CC.UH.EDU>, Spasmo <cosc19z5@Bayou.UH.EDU> wrote:
> Heya all, long time no see :)

[snip]
> do any of the above, or am I stuck?  If so, are there any other
> editors that don't have the above limitations, but which provide
> for the same nice interfacing capability that AdaIDE has (with
> regards to compiling and so forth)?

Since you mention GNAT 3.04a, with long file names, I'm guessing (notice I
did not say assuming :-) that you have either Win95 or Win/NT.  If so,
then you might want to try EMACS 19.33 for Win/NT.  I've been using it at
work for a while now and i's pretty good, IMHO.  Especially with Ada mode
2.23.  This ties in real nice iwth GNAT, and from what you say, I believe
it doees not have these limitations.

EMACS for Win/NT is at:

   http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/voelker/ntemacs.html#support
or:
   ftp.cs.washington.edu/pub/ntemacs

Ada mode 2.23 is at the NYU site:

   ftp to cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnt
        emacs-ada-mode-2.23.tar.gz

Hope this helps out.

Dave
| Dave Retherford                | "Always put off dealing with time-    |
|  Daver@Neosoft.com             | wasting morons.  If you would like to |
|  73313.2671@compuserve.com     | know how, ... I'll get back to you on |
|  djretherford@ccgate.hac.com   | that."                                |
|       (work)                   |   -- The Universe according to Dibert |
|________________________________|_______________________________________|

* Re: AdaIDE Question
@ 1996-09-10  0:00 Spasmo
From: Spasmo @ 1996-09-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dave Retherford (daver@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM) wrote:
: In article <50ras0$sgb@Masala.CC.UH.EDU>, Spasmo <cosc19z5@Bayou.UH.EDU> wrote:
: > Heya all, long time no see :)
: >
: [snip]
: > do any of the above, or am I stuck?  If so, are there any other
: > editors that don't have the above limitations, but which provide
: > for the same nice interfacing capability that AdaIDE has (with
: > regards to compiling and so forth)?
: >

: Since you mention GNAT 3.04a, with long file names, I'm guessing (notice I
: did not say assuming :-) that you have either Win95 or Win/NT.  If so,
: then you might want to try EMACS 19.33 for Win/NT.  I've been using it at
: work for a while now and i's pretty good, IMHO.  Especially with Ada mode
: 2.23.  This ties in real nice iwth GNAT, and from what you say, I believe
: it doees not have these limitations.

And to think I had given up on Emacs for Win!  I know about Emacs
and it is one helluva utility (I used to stand in the halls of
my university and stop passerbys to expound the virtues of Emacs
upon their ears -- much like the stereotypicalimage of a
preacher).  I had searched, but all I could find was microemacs.
BTW, an editor which can play games has no limits!  :)

: EMACS for Win/NT is at:

:    http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/voelker/ntemacs.html#support
: or:
:    ftp.cs.washington.edu/pub/ntemacs