From: amir@iae.nsk.su (Amir Yantimirov)
Subject: Re: One language environment don't have future
Date: 5 Feb 2003 00:40:05 -0800
Date: 2003-02-05T08:40:05+00:00	[thread overview]

Preben Randhol <randhol+news@pvv.org> wrote in message news:<slrnb3vgas.458.randhol+news@kiuk0152.chembio.ntnu.no>...
> Beard, Frank Randolph CIV wrote:

This is not differ from situation when experts use one language but
specialize in different domains.

> > We have this problem on our current project.  It was built with Ada,
> > Delphi, and C++.  Another related system used to build messages to send
> > to it, was built using M$ VB.  To maintain it, you need someone who knows
> > each language fairly well.  Otherwise, you could end up with kludged
> > updates in the future.

How familar! But the main troubles comes not from languages
differences. 90% of programming tasks are pretty trivial and has
standard solutions in any language. Its incompatibility of libraries
and object code, even between Visual C++ and C++ Builder. So I already
desided to move on .Net and only waits for right moment.

> And if memory serves me well this was the (or at least one) initial
> concern that sparked the development of Ada :-)

I will be glad to use one language for all tasks. Language of my taste
with how much power as possible and with my full responcibility for
safety of my feet. But I think most of us would disagree. So we have
to separate problem domains most appropriated for various kinds of
languages but preserve our ability to cooperate seamlessly.

I read here several times how good libraries and nice IDE can help
Ada. IMHO At best it would become new Delphi with zero chances to
broad success. I think to be successful the project should be
magnitudes more ambitious. Multi-languge, multi-platform, multi-target
on any platform and beating crap out of Net and Java (hm, something
more to pile?)

It strange, but I think it can be done. Certainly not by me but I like
to participate.

The ideas of intermediate code and standardizated portable format of
executable is trivial and not new. As is non-textual representation of
program source. As are both combined (Smalltalk). But while not use
all this more widely?

http://www174.pair.com/yamir/programming/textdead.htm

Amir Yantimirov