From: x24702@usma.edu (Zach Swanson)
Subject: Re: Ada tasks: processes or threads
Date: 14 Mar 2002 21:24:39 -0800
Date: 2002-03-15T05:24:40+00:00	[thread overview]

Kilgallen@SpamCop.net (Larry Kilgallen) wrote in message news:<bi2LAn0DrQcb@eisner.encompasserve.org>...
> Why do you say that ?
>
> I was under the impression that notions of "threads" and "processes"
> were operating system concepts invisible to the reader of the Ada
> Reference Manual.
>
> Obviously such concepts must be handled by those implementing an
> Ada compiler, but their implementation should hide those details
> from those writing Ada programs.
>
> To the extent that any programmer depends on thread vs. process
> differences, aren't they depending on features not guaranteed
> by the Ada Reference Manual ?

That's true, I should have said its an Ada "compiler standard" just
because that seems to be how the majority of the Ada compilers handle
the tasks, as "threads". And as Ted pointed out a post later, its not
so much an OS thread either.

And you're right about depending on thread vs process, there's really
no way to guarantee that from the LRM, its compiler dependant.