From: Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: Humor fromkipedia
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 19:37:10 +0100
Date: 2006-01-23T19:37:10+01:00	[thread overview]

Maciej Sobczak wrote:

> Martin Krischik wrote:
>
>> If you not a troll after all and really want to know the difference:
>>
>>   Ada:
>>     http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Subtypes
>>     http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Types
>>   Java:
>>     http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Java_Programming/Types
>>
>> Wow, I never expected such drastic difference. Ada 2 chapters with a
>> total of 19 pages - Java a mere 9 lines.

> <serious>
> These numbers say nothing. You can buy arbitrarily verbose Java book
> with the "Types" chapter having arbitrary number of pages, including
> introduction, summary, excercises, ... Just comparing wiki chapters is
> not meaningful at all.
> </serious>

These numbers are very telling. You just have to see them on a human level:
The authors of the Java Wikibook thought that a table of 9 lines is all you
ever need to know about Java's type system - at least when it comes to
primitive types.

On the other hand the authors of the Java wikibook thought that the reader
needs to know a lot more...

> </not-serious>
> Actually, I'd say that when it comes to the type system, Java just runs
> circles around Ada - just see its int, Integer and IntHolder, which are
> not one, but *three* types for the same data concept! ;-)
>
> And there are more Java "types" (programmers) anyway.
> </not-serious>

:-)

Martin.
--