* Re: Man Pages For GNAT?
@ 1996-08-27  0:00 ` Greg Bond
From: Greg Bond @ 1996-08-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hware

Henry Ware wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Could anybody point me to man pages for gnatmake and
> the other gnat tools?

See the file "gnatinfo.txt" included in the binary or source
distributions.

--
* Greg Bond                         * Dept. of Electrical Eng.
* email: bond@ee.ubc.ca             * Univ. of British Columbia

* Man Pages For GNAT?
@ 1996-08-27  0:00 Henry Ware
From: Henry Ware @ 1996-08-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

Could anybody point me to man pages for gnatmake and
the other gnat tools?

much obliged,
Henry

--
Henry Ware
hware@cs.wvu.edu

* Re: Man Pages For GNAT?
@ 1996-08-28  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1996-08-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

iHenry asks

"Could anybody point me to man pages for gnatmake and
the other gnat tools?"

Every distribution of GNAT comes with a documentation file gnatinfo.txt.

If you do not have this file, then make your first order of business
obtaining it, otherwise you will end up wasting your own time. It should
have come by the same path you obtained GNAT. If not, you can get it
from the standard GNAT FTP sites.

* Re: Man Pages For GNAT?
@ 1996-08-28  0:00   ` Michael Feldman
From: Michael Feldman @ 1996-08-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <dewar.841248722@schonberg>, Robert Dewar <dewar@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:

>If you do not have this file, then make your first order of business
>obtaining it, otherwise you will end up wasting your own time. It should
>have come by the same path you obtained GNAT. If not, you can get it
>from the standard GNAT FTP sites.

But unfortunately it is not available separately from these sites.
The only way to get this doc file, unfortunately, is to download
a full GNAT distribution, unpack it, then look for gnatinfo.txt.

Who votes for ACT putting a copy of gnatinfo.txt at the top level
of the NYU ftp site so it is easily accessible?

Mike Feldman

* Re: Man Pages For GNAT?
@ 1996-08-29  0:00     ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 1996-08-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Feldman wrote:

> Who votes for ACT putting a copy of gnatinfo.txt at the top level
> of the NYU ftp site so it is easily accessible?

I doubt that ACT is run as a democracy (with universal suffrage for
comp.lang.ada readers). However, in the spirit of the election season,
I vote for that, along with a logical link to a file named gnat_read.me
or something.

--
T.E.D.
                |  Work - mailto:dennison@escmail.orl.mmc.com  |

* Re: Man Pages For GNAT?
@ 1996-08-30  0:00       ` Kevin J. Weise
From: Kevin J. Weise @ 1996-08-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison <dennison@escmail.orl.mmc.com> wrote:
>Michael Feldman wrote:
>> Who votes for ACT putting a copy of gnatinfo.txt at the top level
>> of the NYU ftp site so it is easily accessible?
>
>I doubt that ACT is run as a democracy (with universal suffrage for
>comp.lang.ada readers). However, in the spirit of the election season,
>I vote for that, along with a logical link to a file named gnat_read.me
>or something.

The only problem I can think of with this suggestion is associating
gnatinfo.txt with appropriate versions of GNAT.  Let's face it,
gnatinfo.txt has been volatile, with various changes over its lifetime,
esp. when there have been significant new releases of GNAT.  I suppose we
could have a GNAT version number in the gnatinfo filename, but come on!
If you get GNAT, you get gnatinfo.txt.  And you get the correct
gnatinfo.txt for the associated version of GNAT.  Its a minor issue, and
certainly it is not difficult to follow the given directions.  (In fact,
I think the installation directions haven't changed in quite awhile.)  I
vote for leaving things the way they are.

Kevin J. Weise             email:  kweise@sed.redstone.army.mil
COLSA Corporation          voice:  (205) 842-9083
Huntsville, AL

.. standard disclaimers apply