From: dweller@dfw.net (David Weller)
Subject: Re: AIA Position on Ada
Date: 1996/08/29
Date: 1996-08-29T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <32266B97.3C8F@dynamite.com.au>,
Alan Brain  <aebrain@dynamite.com.au> wrote:
>But disagree: a reasonable analogy, showing that superior marketing, or
>even
>just availability of more titles sooner, has, in the past, beaten a
>superior
>technical solution.

I seem to remember the biggest driving factor with VHS was the
appearance of the 6 hour mode.  This made it possible to put 3 2-hour
movies on a single tape, which at that time were expensive (and Beta
tapes, which could only store 4.5 hours at the most, cost a little
more).  This was pushed heavily by salespeople as I recall, because
consumers wanted to squeeze everything they could out of their dollar
(including the fact that, illegal or otherwise, buying recorded movies
back then was prohibitively expensive, and the ability to record 3
movies onto one tape was quite attractive as a storage device)

>The situation vis-a-vis Ada should be obvious to any
>Rational person.

Oh, sure, leave the other Ada compiler companies out of it! :-)

--
    Visit the Ada 95 Booch Components Homepage: www.ocsystems.com/booch
           This is not your father's Ada -- lglwww.epfl.ch/Ada