* Ada Trademark
@ 1991-04-17  9:49 Rick Conn
From: Rick Conn @ 1991-04-17  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Re the recent discussion on the Ada trademark, the following file in the
ASR may be of interest.  I created it from the Ada IC newsletter of the time.
Thanks to Mike Feldman for the suggestion of bringing this out.

Rick Conn

Ada Software Repository Release Notice
Release of: Doc on Lapse of Ada Trademark
------------------------------
1. Taxonomy:
    ADA BOOKS AND DOCUMENTS
        ADA TRADEMARK ELAPSES
------------------------------
2. Abstract:
The Ada trademark elapsed (was no longer effective) in late 1987.
This file is a page extracted from the AdaIC Newsletter of that
time (file PD2:<ADA.NEWS>AIC53.DOC in the ASR) which explains
the rationale for the lapse of the trademark and the use of the
certification mark instead.
------------------------------
3. Directory Listing:
Directory   PD2:<ADA.DOCUMENTS>
     File Name      Bytes    Lines
  ---------------  --------  ------
  TRADEMRK.DOC         3843      62
  ===============  ========  ======
    1 Files            3843      62
-------

* Ada Trademark
@ 1996-08-25  0:00 Bob Mathis
From: Bob Mathis @ 1996-08-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norman H. Cohen (the one who complained that Barnes and Noble bookstores only
had one Ada95 book on their shelves by Barnes of course) mentioned my old
license plate "(Similarly, Bob Mathis's license plate no longer reads
"ADA-TM".)" About 10 years ago I was also involved with Lisp so I changed my
plates to say "Ada Lisp". When I moved back to Ohio, I changed back to just
randomly assigned regular plates.

>At the time the first edition of "Ada as a Second Language" went to
>press, the Ada Joint Program Office truly believed that the trademark had
>the force of law, and they fully intended to use the trademark to prevent
>the proliferation of divergent dialects all called Ada.  They abandoned
>the trademark shortly afterward upon being advised that it was
>unenforceable.

The AJPO had to be assertive about the trademark (as all trademark holders must
be). When the standard was approved, it was no longer necessary to use the
trademark to maintain the definition of the language.

-- Bob (a trademark of Microsoft Corporation) Mathis

* Re: Ada Trademark
@ 1996-08-28  0:00 ` Norman H. Cohen
From: Norman H. Cohen @ 1996-08-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <960825183327_73313.2671_FHM37-2@CompuServe.COM>, Bob Mathis
<73313.2671@COMPUSERVE.COM> writes:

|> Norman H. Cohen (the one who complained that Barnes and Noble bookstores only
|> had one Ada95 book on their shelves by Barnes of course) ...

Actually, the Barnes and Noble Superstore near here has taken a more
Noble stand, and stocks my book along with half a dozen or so other Ada
books, including John's.

--
Norman H. Cohen    ncohen@watson.ibm.com