* Ada for Windows
@ 1993-09-24 11:21 Kevin Davis
From: Kevin Davis @ 1993-09-24 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would like to know if there is a Ada compiler for the Windows
Operating system.  If you do please tell me where and how much it does
it cost to buy and where to buy it.

Kevin Davis
KevinD1701@aol.com
kevindavis@delphi.com

----
MidWest BBS - 708-513-1034 -ILINK Charter Member, UsMail Regional Hub, Usenet

* Re: Ada for Windows
@ 1993-09-24 20:21 David Tannen
From: David Tannen @ 1993-09-24 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article uupcb@mwbbs.com, kevin.davis@mwbbs.com (Kevin Davis)  writes:
>I would like to know if there is a Ada compiler for the Windows
>Operating system.  If you do please tell me where and how much it does
>it cost to buy and where to buy it.
>
>Kevin Davis
>KevinD1701@aol.com
>kevindavis@delphi.com
>
>----
>MidWest BBS - 708-513-1034 -ILINK Charter Member, UsMail Regional Hub, Usenet

Kevin,
You have three choices @ the moment:
	Meridian Ada (1-800-653-2522)
	Integr Ada (advertisment in the current BYTE - near the back)
	R&R Ada (?)
all have  MS-Windows Ada compiler.  I have no experience concerning any of thes
e compilers
except for Meridian's DOS Ada compilers.  I was also looking for a MS-Windows A
da environment
about year ago.  At that time I was very disappointed with the offerings.  I am
 now using Borland's
Object Pascal.  BP provides me w/ most of the features I like about Ada (strong
 typing is top of the
list and limited use of pointers).  Of course it doesn't have a couple of real
useful things (overloading,
generics are two that come to mind right away).

But I am again looking into Ada and MS-Windows, but I am not holding my breath.
---
David Tannen
tannend@source.asset.com
tannen@tigger.geg.mot.com
-- "Dependance on wizardry to mitigate the fundamental limitations
--  of software is called 'hacking'."  Grady Booch.
--
-- Developing MS-Windows applications often requires 'wizardry'.