From: "Jeff C," <nolongersafeto@userealemailsniff.com>
Subject: Re: ACATS results with Gnat5.01p
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 01:11:28 GMT
Date: 2003-10-30T01:11:28+00:00	[thread overview]

"Duncan Sands" <baldrick@free.fr> wrote in message
news:mailman.240.1067440519.25614.comp.lang.ada@ada-france.org...
> Sorry, but what is gnat5.01p?  Is it based on one
> of ACT's builds?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Duncan.

Somewhat.. Until recently the semi-internal ACT CVS archive for the Ada
directory was
available online along with build instructions. What was apparently in the
CVS was the actual XX.XXa series
sources (what gets built and shipped to the customers). the 5.01p that I
built was originally based on the released CVS tag of 5.01a BUT this by no
means implies that what I ended up with was 5.01a!

There are several reasons for that.

1) I modified the version file so that it would not call itself 5.01a. It
not identifies itself as 5.01p with a build date appended.

2) I built with gcc 3.2.2. I THINK that they were building with 3.2 (no
additional .2)

3) It is unclear/unknown to me if they every supported building inder Redhat
9.

4) There build instructions for building from source indicates that you had
to reuse a portion of
  your existing binary install to get a few components that I deduced may
have come from binutils so I built
  them myself.

5) In order to build the binutils under redhat 9, I probably had to use a
newer version they they did/would have.

6) I had no configuration manager / QA making sure I was even really
following the instructions that I posted.

7) I did essentially zero true functional testing of the resulting build

8) I bundled it as an RPM. No prior semi-official ACT releases that I am
aware of were done that way (not that there
was the Ada for Linux team that built RPMs and the compiler from
source...Note that they also just called theirs 3.14p (or whatever version
they were trying to build).

9) Many more items that I probably am not even aware of.

You can read more at

http://newserver.thecreems.com/index.php?topic=Programming

If you feel the need to actually download stuff, try to get it from the
http://www.adaworld.com/linksmain.html
site since I do not really have any substantial upload capability.