* New Books on Ada
@ 2001-03-12 11:55 Stephen Kirkup
From: Stephen Kirkup @ 2001-03-12 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

See the web page
http://www.science-books.net/ada.htm

[-- Attachment #2: Card for Stephen Kirkup --]

begin:vcard
n:Kirkup;Stephen
tel;cell:07967 119658
tel;home:01422 844607
tel;work:0151 7944596
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:smk@liv.ac.uk
fn:Stephen Kirkup
end:vcard

* Re: New Books on Ada
@ 2001-03-12 15:22 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2001-03-12 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Not exactly.

> See the web page
> http://www.science-books.net/ada.htm

I see Programming and Problem Solving in Ada by N.B.Dale (2000)
as the only publication since 1999 and most of the others I own.

* Re: New Books on Ada
@ 2001-03-14 17:21   ` Lao Xiao Hai
From: Lao Xiao Hai @ 2001-03-14 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a book with the working title,

           Object-oriented Software Engineering in Ada

that I thought was going to be published by Prentice-Hall.   Then they
told me
that they had decided not publish anymore Ada books, even though they
liked
what I had created.   Now, I am looking for another publisher.

I have another book, Ada Distilled, that I use in my classes at Naval
Postgraduate
School.   After a couple more revisions, and some corrections suggested
by Ed
Colbert, I may put that book on the AdaWorks web site so people can
download it.

Richard Riehle

@ 2001-03-14 20:03     ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2001-03-14 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have no clue as to how much money textbooks of this sort make for the
authors. I've heard that quite often the $$$ value of publishing a technical
(college course level) book is pretty small. It might be the sort of thing
that would be more valuable from a "promotional" point of view if it were
freely available as a download from the Internet. (Assuming the author's
name is prominent in the text and it gets used in a lot of classes &
contexts, it makes the author that much more of a widely recognized expert -
moreso than might already be the case. :-)

It would certainly be of benefit to Ada if there were a good college level
text that could be downloaded along with a compiler, etc. at no cost to the
student/hobbyist. There are on-line learning materials already, but a good
book in PDF or some other format that potentially can be sent to a printer
and looked at with leasure while sitting on the back porch, holding a boat
drink might just encourage a few more people to consider Ada. It would have
some attraction to those teaching a class in Ada as well......

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Senior Software Engineer

@ 2001-03-15  1:40       ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2001-03-15  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <98oirs$a70$1@nh.pace.co.uk>, "Marin David Condic" <marin.condic.auntie.spam@pacemicro.com> writes:
> I have no clue as to how much money textbooks of this sort make for the
> authors. I've heard that quite often the $$$ value of publishing a technical
> (college course level) book is pretty small. It might be the sort of thing
> that would be more valuable from a "promotional" point of view if it were
> freely available as a download from the Internet. (Assuming the author's
> name is prominent in the text and it gets used in a lot of classes &
> contexts, it makes the author that much more of a widely recognized expert -
> moreso than might already be the case. :-)

I am always happy to pay for a book I want -- the only reason I responded
to the initial post (possibly not from a regular participant) was that
I wanted to debunk the claim that these were all "new" books.  I am not
particularly dissatisfied with the Ada books I already own, but someone
who proclaims a "new" list not much longer than my own holdings certainly
is aiming low.

* Re: New Books on Ada
@ 2001-03-15  1:43     ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2001-03-15  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lao Xiao Hai wrote in message <3AAFA890.3245DF60@ix.netcom.com>...
>I have a book with the working title,
>
>           Object-oriented Software Engineering in Ada
>
>that I thought was going to be published by Prentice-Hall.   Then they
told me
>that they had decided not publish anymore Ada books, even though they
liked
>what I had created.   Now, I am looking for another publisher.

Richard gave us an earlier Object-Oriented Programing in Ada 95 book as
part of the documentation he did for us for Claw. It's included in every
full copy of Claw (find it in the help files via the Tutorials Topic).
Of course, buying a copy of Claw just to read Richard's book would be a
bit expensive. (But in case you want to, visit www.rrsoftware.com.)

            Randy Brukardt.

* Re: New Books on Ada
@ 2001-03-15 10:18       ` John English
From: John English @ 2001-03-15 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marin David Condic wrote:

> I have no clue as to how much money textbooks of this sort make for the
> authors. I've heard that quite often the $$$ value of publishing a technical
> (college course level) book is pretty small.

Yup; just over �1 a copy, which for an Ada book translates into a few
hundred pounds a year.

> It might be the sort of thing
> that would be more valuable from a "promotional" point of view if it were
> freely available as a download from the Internet.

Prentice Hall (now Pearson) have taken my book out of print and are
returning the rights to me, so it'll be on the next edition of BURKS
this summer (hopefully with all the errata fixed... :-)

 Senior Lecturer           | http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je/
 Dept. of Computing        | ** NON-PROFIT CD FOR CS STUDENTS **
 University of Brighton    |    -- see http://burks.bton.ac.uk/

* Re: New Books on Ada
@ 2001-03-15 18:03         ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2001-03-15 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Glad to hear that. I personally believe that the more resources there are
available for Ada at no cost and with easy access, the more it promotes Ada
use. People are at times naturally lazy and cheap. If it starts sounding
like work or costing them $$$, they're more apt to just continue on with
what they have and not explore new things. To the extent that Ada advocates
make owning & using Ada easy & cheap, it is going to encourage more usage.
(Witness Unix and C catching on because ATT made it available at nearly no
cost to universities...)

MDC