From: johnherro@aol.com (John Herro)
Subject: Re: How do I start: Learning Ada?
Date: 1996/08/27
Date: 1996-08-27T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

cagboh@vub.ac.be (AGBOH CHARLES) writes:
> Anybody out there who can help me
> learn Ada?  What should I be reading
> for understanding how the langugae
> reallly works?
     At the Web site and the FTP site below my signature, you can download
my shareware Ada Tutor program.  It runs under DOS (or a DOS partition in
Windows) without an Ada compiler, and on almost any other platform with an
Ada compiler, because Ada source code is included.
     For a textbook, I strongly recommend RENDEZVOUS WITH ADA 95 by David
Naiditch, published by John Wiley and Sons.  There's a coupon at the Web
and FTP sites mentioned, which you can print and send directly to Wiley
and Sons.  (I have to admit to a *very small* financial interest if you
buy the book using this coupon, but I have no financial interest if you
get the book any other way.  I think it's an *excellent* textbook.)
     There's also a free Ada tutorial by David Wheeler called Lovelace, at
http://lglwww.epfl.ch/Ada/Tutorials/Lovelace.  It's written in HTML, and
you run it with your Web browser while visiting that site.  (You can also
download it and run it with your Web browser offline.)
     I hope this helps.  You'll find that Ada catches errors at compile
time that other languages catch only at run time, or not at all.  Also,
Ada programs are easier to read, and easier to modify a month or a year
later.  You'll really like Ada!
- John Herro
Software Innovations Technology
http://members.aol.com/AdaTutor