* GNAT 3.04a & Environment space
@ 1996-08-15  0:00 JSilva1313
From: JSilva1313 @ 1996-08-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I recently downloaded the GNAT Ada compiler version 3.04a for Windows95
but have been unable to install it properly.

Regardless as to what I set the Initial Environment to, or anything else
for that matter, I always run out of environment space when I try to run
setpath.bat.

Any suggestions???

Thanks

* Re: GNAT 3.04a & Environment space
@ 1996-08-16  0:00 ` Robert A Duff
From: Robert A Duff @ 1996-08-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <4v0q0e$cbq@newsbf02.news.aol.com>,
JSilva1313 <jsilva1313@aol.com> wrote:
>I recently downloaded the GNAT Ada compiler version 3.04a for Windows95
>but have been unable to install it properly.
>
>Regardless as to what I set the Initial Environment to, or anything else
>for that matter, I always run out of environment space when I try to run
>setpath.bat.

I recently succeeded in installing it.  I'm new to win95, so I had to
fiddle a bit to get the env space thing right.  Apparently, I had
several ways of calling up the MSDOS prompt.  And some of those ways
listened to the "initial env" of 1024, whereas some did not.  Yuck!  (I
can't *believe* this nonsense still exists in this day and age.  1024
bytes is only about 0.00004 of my physical memory, and I don't have a
big machine.  Sheesh.)

Try clicking right at the top of the MSDOS window, select "properties",
and then go from there.  But I think you have to reboot for it to take
effect.

I also had luck with putting "call ...\setpath" in my autoexec.bat file.
I don't know if this solves the env space problem, but it has the
advantage that all processes will inherit these env vars.  In
particular, GNU emacs will inherit them -- IMHO, the most civilized way
to run GNAT is to use Ada mode in Emacs, and run gnatmake from the
compile command.

In case you're curious, I found a GNU Emacs for windows 95 and NT,
already built, at ftp://ftp.cs.washington.edu/pub/ntemacs/latest.
It seemed easier to me than building from sources.  It worked fine after
some fiddling with the --geometry switch.

I have been unable to determine if gdb works under win95, (either with
or without the Ada-specific extensions).

- Bob

From: Robert A Duff @ 1996-08-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <Dw8FF4.6Js@world.std.com>,
I <bobduff@world.std.com> wrote:
>I also had luck with putting "call ...\setpath" in my autoexec.bat file.
>I don't know if this solves the env space problem, ...

Well, it does seem to.  On a different computer, running windows 95, I
put "call c:\gnat304a\setpath" in my autoexec.bat file, and I am now
able to run gnatmake just fine.  I did not fiddle with the "initial
environment" settings (i.e. I disobeyed the README) -- I left it set to
"Auto" (whatever that means).

- Bob

* Re: GNAT 3.04a & Environment space
@ 1996-08-16  0:00     ` Joe DeKeyrel
From: Joe DeKeyrel @ 1996-08-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert A Duff wrote:

> In article <Dw8FF4.6Js@world.std.com>,
> I <bobduff@world.std.com> wrote:
> >I also had luck with putting "call ...\setpath" in my autoexec.bat file.
> >I don't know if this solves the env space problem, ...
>
> Well, it does seem to.  On a different computer, running windows 95, I
> put "call c:\gnat304a\setpath" in my autoexec.bat file, and I am now
> able to run gnatmake just fine.  I did not fiddle with the "initial
> environment" settings (i.e. I disobeyed the README) -- I left it set to
> "Auto" (whatever that means).
>
> - Bob

I run a similar setup myself (when I'm not running linux). You really MUST increase the size of the
environment to allow for all the environment virables that setpath requires.
i.e.
right mouse select the shortcut you've created -- I'll assume you have
choose properties
on the memory tab, dropdown the environment list box
select 1024 -- works on my machine

that should do it...

--
Joe DeKeyrel
Systems Integration Engineer

* Re: GNAT 3.04a & Environment space
@ 1996-08-17  0:00       ` Robert A Duff
From: Robert A Duff @ 1996-08-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <32152B67.253@telis.org>, Joe DeKeyrel  <dekeyrej@telis.org> wrote:
>I run a similar setup myself (when I'm not running linux). You really
>MUST increase the size of the environment to allow for all the
>environment virables that setpath requires. ...

Well, it may depend on how big those env vars are, which depends on how
long the path name is where you put gnat.  Mine is just c:\gnat304a.
And I suppose it depends on what *other* env vars you have.

I was able to set exactly 1445 bytes of env vars in my autoexec.bat
file.  More than that were ignored without any error message (grr!).
This is plenty for setpath.bat -- as I said, by running setpath.bat from
my autoexec.bat, I am able to run gnatmake just fine WITHOUT fiddling
with the env size.  And I checked that all the vars set by setpath.bat
indeed exist in my MSDOS windows.

On the other hand, if I try to run setpath.bat from an MSDOS window,
it gripes about "Out of environment space".

- Bob

* Re: GNAT 3.04a & Environment space
@ 1996-08-17  0:00   ` Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 1996-08-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <Dw8FF4.6Js@world.std.com> bobduff@world.std.com (Robert A Duff) writes:
>I have been unable to determine if gdb works under win95, (either with
>or without the Ada-specific extensions).

The one in the Cygwin32 toolset from Cygnus works reasonably well,
though it has missing features, such as the ability to rerun a program
without leaving GDB.  It doesn't have Ada mode yet.