* Is it possible to port gnat to MkLinux
@ 1996-08-01  0:00 Brett Waring
From: Brett Waring @ 1996-08-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I posted awhile ago about running gnat under MkLinux (Linux of Power Macintoshes)
I didnt get much of a response so I am asking this time is it possible to port
gnat to MkLinux?  If it is, how hard an undertaking would this be?  Finally
any pointers on doing such a thing would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks.

--
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
|        Brett Waring              |                                        |

* RE: Is it possible to port gnat to MkLinux
@ 1996-08-06  0:00 ` terkuile
From: terkuile @ 1996-08-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In Article <4tpp57$496@goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au>
bwaring@yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au (Brett Waring) writes:
>I posted awhile ago about running gnat under MkLinux (Linux of Power Macintoshes)
>I didnt get much of a response so I am asking this time is it possible to port
>gnat to MkLinux?  If it is, how hard an undertaking would this be?  Finally
>any pointers on doing such a thing would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks.
>
>--

Actually, how much porting would this be ?

Gnat compiles for Linux. Would Gnat not simply compile
'out-of-the-box' for MkLinux as well ?

Gnat being a translator to whatever GCC can compile, and GCC has already been
ported to MkLinux. As far as i know both versions of Linux are source file
compatible (except for the kernel/compiler/assembler trio of course, but these
are suppose to iron out the hardware differences).

Once you bootstrap Gnat, you can compile the runtime libraries. And finally
the necessary utilities that come with Gnat.

Or are there other incompatible differences between both versions of linux ?

Maybe it is as simple as that... probably not. You can only try.

I missed your first posting, so i guess you might have tryed compiling it
allready and failed. If this is the case please ignore this post.

 E-mail : terkuile@kvi.nl             ing. Ernest J.W. ter Kuile
 Tel.   : (NL)(0)50-633619            Kernfysisch Versneller Instituut
 Fax.   : (NL)(0)50-634003            Groningen, The Netherlands