* Thomsoft Ada Compiler
@ 1996-08-04  0:00 K. C. Carlton
From: K. C. Carlton @ 1996-08-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

Anyone have any experience with Object Ada for Windows 95? I believe this
is the name of the new Ada compiler by Thomsoft (or the newly named company
contained therein).

Would like to hear about ease of install, ease of use, and, of course, the
all important question... does it work?

Thanks,

K. C.

* Re: Thomsoft Ada Compiler
@ 1996-08-05  0:00 ` Dave Wood
From: Dave Wood @ 1996-08-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

K. C. Carlton wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Anyone have any experience with Object Ada for Windows 95? I believe this
> is the name of the new Ada compiler by Thomsoft (or the newly named company
> contained therein).
>
> Would like to hear about ease of install, ease of use, and, of course, the
> all important question... does it work?
>
> Thanks,
>
> K. C.

Well, since you asked...

I know this might be over the line in terms of
netiquette, but, hey, I don't get this kind of a
leading question all that often.  :)

Hopefully some of our users will post comments
directly so you won't be subjected to my biased
viewpoint.

-- Dave Wood
-- Product Manager, ObjectAda for Windows

Some Comments from Our Beta Sites

Your ObjectAda is "HOT!" Once the commercial industry figures
out Ada 95's power ... watch out Microsoft, C++ will be the un-safe
language of choice.

I've run 250,000 lines of tricky code through it with no problem -
ObjectAda is light-years ahead of any previous Ada compiler.

Finally someone is taking the necessary steps to make Ada (and
associated development environments) more mainstream.

Finally a product for Ada which can compete with something
like Visual C++!

The compiler seems very robust; several tricky bugs reported in
GNAT work correctly with ObjectAda.

ObjectAda's slick IDE is the best Ada system I've seen.

Glad to see you're committed to Ada and are supporting the
Windows platform.

I'm satisfied with the product and see a lot of potential in it.

Very good.  The look and feel are logical.

The integrated help that was available was laid out very well.

Without a doubt I will be looking forward to using ObjectAda
in the near future.

Over-all this beta looks and feels comfortable with all my other
Windows programs - it makes me feel right at home.

I am very impressed with the product, especially the
environment, which makes it easy to produce code and import
packages used in other projects... keep up the good work.

Looks like a very nice product.

Good effort to create a complete and powerful Ada compiler
for the PC market.  Keep up the good work.

A partial list of Beta Sites

Boeing Commercial Airplane Group * Rockwell International
Collins Commercial Avionics * Hughes Aircraft * GTE
Government Systems * Loral Fairchild Systems * GDE
Systems * Lockheed Martin * E G & G * IIT Research Institute
* CACI * Idaho National Engineering Laboratory * NCI
Information Systems * SAIC * Harris Corporation * Boeing
Defense and Space Group * Computer Sciences Corporation
* Lawrance Livermore National Lab * A&T engineering
Technology Center * Aerospatiale * Teledyne Brown Engineering
* Texas Instruments * Cubic * Oerlikon Aerospace * TRW
* US Marines * US Navy * US Air Force * US Army * UNI Stuttgart
* Forschungzentrum Karlsruhe * University of Brighton * University
of W. Florida * University of New Orleans * Embry-Riddle
Aeronautical University * Colorado Technical University * Brigham
Young University * USA School of Engineering * Naval
Postgraduate School * Auburn University * Many more...

* Re: Thomsoft Ada Compiler
@ 1996-08-05  0:00 ` Ken Cowan
From: Ken Cowan @ 1996-08-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <01bb81a0$85ea5ce0$1092b1cd@erols.erols.com>,
   "K. C. Carlton" <kcarlton@erols.com> wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>Anyone have any experience with Object Ada for Windows 95? I believe this
>is the name of the new Ada compiler by Thomsoft (or the newly named company
>contained therein).
>
>Would like to hear about ease of install, ease of use, and, of course, the
>all important question... does it work?
>
>Thanks,
>
>K. C.

It's super easy to install.  Run setup and press <enter> about 4 times.
There are no bat files or environment variables or anything weird you need.
The setup puts anything it needs into the registry.

I find it easy to use too.  You create a project and add files to it,
then press compile or build buttons to get the program built.  The IDE
gives you a multiple document editor, with a real Windows feel.  You
don't need to figure out compilation order, or really do any complex
program library maintenance.  About all the system needs is to be told
where to find the package specs and package bodies for any packages you
write.  This is a simple as adding to the your project.

As for whether it works or not, I'm probably too biased to give you
a straight answer.  I'm one of the developers.

  KC

Ken Cowan                       Thomson Software Products
cowan@east.thomsoft.com         200 Wheeler Rd.
phone: (617) 221-7323           Burlington, MA 01803
fax: (617) 220-6882

* Re: Thomsoft Ada Compiler
@ 1996-08-06  0:00 ` Ron Thompson
From: Ron Thompson @ 1996-08-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"K. C. Carlton" <kcarlton@erols.com> wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>Anyone have any experience with Object Ada for Windows 95? I believe this
>is the name of the new Ada compiler by Thomsoft (or the newly named company
>contained therein).
>
>Would like to hear about ease of install, ease of use, and, of course, the
>all important question... does it work?
>
>Thanks,
>
>K. C.

I'll add my usual 2 cents when it comes to
Alsys/Thomson/Thomsoft/Whatever they may choose to call
themselves.
Note, my name is spelled ThomPson. I am not related.
We have used Alsys/Thomson products for over 6 years. From
286 to bound 386 to Windows to NT to now in LynxOS.
I can't answer for the Object one, never tried it because we
fortunately pitched the Intel/Win platform and went to the
Intel/Lynx platform. But I am quite sure that you would be
getting the finest product that a considerable amount of money
can buy. We know that it is expensive, but well worth it.
Good support, good company, good people, good compiler.

rct

The opinions above are mine and mine alone. Well, except for
the other guy that works in Ada...