* GNAT link error
@ 1996-07-30  0:00 Ken Slater
From: Ken Slater @ 1996-07-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just tried to install gnat 3.05 on a Silicon Graphics machine running
Irix 5.3. I pulled the distribution from SGI. When I try to link, I get the
following messages:

__gnat_initialize: text but defined as data in a shared object
system___elabs: text but defined as data in a shared object
gnat__os_lib___elabs: text but defined as data in a shared object
interfaces__c_streams___elabs: text but defined as data in a shared object
system__powten_table___elabs: text but defined as data in a shared object
system__exception_table___elabb: text but defined as data in a shared object
ada__io_exceptions___elabs: text but defined as data in a shared object
ada__numerics___elabs: text but defined as data in a shared object
ada__strings___elabs: text but defined as data in a shared object
interfaces__c___elabs: text but defined as data in a shared object
interfaces__c__posix_rte___elabb: text but defined as data in a shared object
interfaces__c__strings___elabs: text but defined as data in a shared object
.
.   Same error for numerous other packages
.

Does anyone have any idea what my problem is?
Please E-Mail responses, as our news feed is very sporadic at the moment.

Thanks.

* Re: GNAT link error
@ 1996-08-01  0:00 ` Robert Dunn
From: Robert Dunn @ 1996-08-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1996Jul30.105853.24820@hrbicf>,
 on 30 Jul 96 10:58:53 EST,

-----------------------------CUT---------------------------------

>Does anyone have any idea what my problem is?
>Please E-Mail responses, as our news feed is very sporadic at the moment.
>
>Thanks.

Hi again,
   Ok, here is what we got.  We ended up with some cheap compiler, GCC.
it is written for some goofy 8.3 file system.  It distinguishes between
upper and lower case.  Well, sort of.  Ada doesn't care about case.
GCC AUTOMATICALLY changes the package names to lower case.  Then it
complains that the filename does not match the package name.  This was
anoying but not heart stopping.  So there was a slight inconvenience
changing all the filenames to ALL lower case.

   That is completed and I can compile without GCC complaining.  Then
it gets to linking and it starts complaining about visibility.  It
seems the standard packages are only vaguely similar to the names of
the files in which they are contained.  These standard packages also
are using a mixture of cases on the package names.  Somewhere inbetween
something does seem to be translating these package names to their
file names.

   The error(s) I am getting now are traced back to the line where the
package declaration occurs in the standard packages.

   Perhaps we have something set up wrong here.  Perhaps this is
related to your problems.  Perhaps we will eventually get our manuals
from SGI.  (yea, right, took 3 weeks to get the right s/w versions)

   I don't know.  I will keep working on it and let you know if I find
anything.  I would love to hear what you find out also.  (especailly
since we may end up going through it also)

with Standard_Disclaimer;
use  Standard_Disclaimer;

* Re: GNAT link error
@ 1996-08-01  0:00   ` David Weller
From: David Weller @ 1996-08-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <19960801.113724.084@satcom.whit.org>,
Robert Dunn <red@satcom.whit.org> wrote:
>   The error(s) I am getting now are traced back to the line where the
>package declaration occurs in the standard packages.
>   Perhaps we have something set up wrong here.  Perhaps this is

I'd say that is accurate.  One dire warning:  If you're "officially"
licensed to use SGI's Ada 95 product, don't EVER mix the public
release of GNAT with SGI's release.  It took me a while to straighten
that mess out on my system :-)

>related to your problems.  Perhaps we will eventually get our manuals
>from SGI.  (yea, right, took 3 weeks to get the right s/w versions)

Well, you can always read the manuals from
	http://www.sgi.com/Technology/TechPubs/
	(Click on "Search" and use "GNAT" as the search keyword)

I don't understand why it took so long anyway -- we get updates almost
weekly via ftp :-)

--
    Visit the Ada 95 Booch Components Homepage: www.ocsystems.com/booch
           This is not your father's Ada -- lglwww.epfl.ch/Ada

* Re: GNAT link error
@ 1996-08-03  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1996-08-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dunn said

"   Ok, here is what we got.  We ended up with some cheap compiler, GCC.
it is written for some goofy 8.3 file system.  It distinguishes between
upper and lower case.  Well, sort of.  Ada doesn't care about case.
GCC AUTOMATICALLY changes the package names to lower case.  Then it
complains that the filename does not match the package name.  This was
anoying but not heart stopping.  So there was a slight inconvenience
changing all the filenames to ALL lower case."

There seems to be some confusion on your part here. GNAT is not written
for a 8.3 file system, though it has the capability of living with such
limitations in systems that require it like DOS.

Unix certainly distinguishes between upper and lower case file names,
so the default choice of file names must be case specific on Unix
systems, of course it is not case specific on systems like DOS or
OS/2 which are not case sensitive.

The default file names are indeed all lower case, they can't follow the
casing you give, because then you would be forced to use consistent
casing in your with statements, and of course Ada does not require such
consistency. So there has to be some canonical rule.

If you don't like the default file names, then you don't need to change
the file names, instead just don't use the defaults. Instead use the
Source_File_Name pragma facility in the configuration file (gnat.adc)
to specify the file names that *you* would like to use.

The documentation (both gnatinfo.txt available with the public releases
of GNAT, and the SGI documentation, available from the webb site for sgi,
includes full descriptions of how to use the source file name pragma
facility.

As for your other problems, they sound like installation problems. If you
obtained the SGI version of the compiler, it includes SGI support, and you
should contact the SGI hot line for help -- I am just guessing you may be
an SGI customer, given your comment about getting hold of the SGI
documentation, but that was not clear from your message. Support for GNAT
is also available from Ada Cotre Technologies, but you have to be one of
our customers to obtain that support (send email to info@gnat.com for
details on our support).

In any case, I stronly recommend carefully reading the documentation,
end-to-end. GNAT is rather different from the Ada compiler environments
you are likely to be used to, and you will find it easier to adjust if
you read the documentation!

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies