From: wpritche@osf1.gmu.edu (William W Pritchett)
Subject: Re: Ada and SQL on a Sparc
Date: 1996/07/31
Date: 1996-07-31T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

The only way I know of to access Oracle using GNAT is through ODBC.  Objective
Interface Systems sells an ODBC product for Ada which I've used with GNAT on 2
projects.  Oracle's ProAda product, to my knowledge, hasn't been ported to GNAT.
ProAda has many compiler dependencies and making it GNAT-friendly isn't easy
(I've tried).  ODBC, however, is very easy to use.  Plus it's vendor independent.

Hope this helps,
Bill Pritchett

Bill Hensley (Bill_Hensley@SMTP.RC.TRW.COM) wrote:
: I have been tasked to develop a set of Web pages that are hosted on a Sparc.
: I would like to use Ada GNAT to accomplish the CGI side of this.  The only
: thing that holds me back is the Ada interface to the Oracle SQL database that
: is to be used as the data repository for the Web site.  While I have developed
: Oracle-interfacing CGI using 4GL tools (Sapphire/Web) and with C, I'd rather
: use Ada.   I'd like to know if GNAT supports a SQL interface, and if there are
: any "gotchas" or war stories.  If there is not too much negative commentary I
: will be able to go to my management and make a strong case to use Ada.

: Thanks, Bill

: Bill_Hensley@smtp.rc.trw.com
: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Bill_Hensley/