From: husseinp@logica.co.uk (Paul Hussein)
Subject: Re: C to Ada interfacing
Date: 1996/07/31
Date: 1996-07-31T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

lees@cts.com (Lee Slaughter) wrote:

>Hi,

>I'm not an Ada programmer but need to interface with Ada
>routines from C (on a VxWorks platform).

>I have searched here, FAQ and the Tartanworks Ada docs
>and found a little, but I could use more.

>I'd appreciate it, especially sample code.

>In my probably naive view i'd make a call to someAdaFn( arg )
>and my Ada-programmer peer would define this function in some
>.ada or whatever source file who's
>object file would be linked in with the C .o stuff, and of
>course have to take special care to be sure data types align,
>are in the right order with right number of gaps  and all.

>Is that sort of sketchily it?

>Thanks...

>lee

>---
>  Lee Slaughter - network management development: submarine stuff
>  Navy R & D, Point Loma, San Diego, CA             lees@nosc.mil
>  "Giving credence to his ramblings indicates a cognitive disorder..."
>  				- Lee's psychiatrist, circa 1952

You really need to look in the LRM for your compiler for this sort of
stuff. Pragma interface to and from C is very troublesome as their is
little standard support for it. The best approaches are :

1. Avoid at alll costs.
2. Get someone else to do it.
3. Obtain some example bindings from somewhere ( e.g. X Bindings ),
they must be for your specific target and compiler.
4. Read Appendix F ( or is it E ? ) of your LRM especially for
exporting functions.

   Why don't you bung an example piece of code in the newsgroup and
some kind sole might help you along.