* Steelman is online!
@ 1996-07-29  0:00 Magnus Kempe
From: Magnus Kempe @ 1996-07-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

The Steelman document (the 1978 requirements for Ada) is finally
available online, thanks to the work of David Wheeler.  Several formats
are available: HTML, PostScript, Frame 5, and RTF.

You'll find a link featured in your friendly Ada Home (HBAP), at

http://lglwww.epfl.ch/Ada/

(see the "Headlines")

The document is part of a new section that deals with the history of Ada
(requirements, rationales, etc.).

Enjoy!

Magnus

--
Magnus Kempe                  "I know not what course others may take, but as
Magnus.Kempe@di.epfl.ch        for me, Give me Liberty... or give me Death!"

* Re: Steelman is online!
@ 1996-07-30  0:00 ` Arthur Evans Jr
From: Arthur Evans Jr @ 1996-07-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <4tif8a$8o6@disunms.epfl.ch>, Magnus.Kempe@di.epfl.ch (Magnus
Kempe) wrote:

> The Steelman document (the 1978 requirements for Ada) is finally
> available online...

 [snip]

> The document is part of a new section that deals with the history of Ada
> (requirements, rationales, etc.).

Wonderful!  Do you also plan to do Strawman, Woodenman, Tinman and
Ironman?  I remember responding to Strawman not quite a million years
ago but no longer have a copy; I've sometimes wondered just what was in
it.

Art Evans

Arthur Evans Jr, PhD        Phone: 412-963-0839
Ada Consulting              FAX:   412-963-0927
461 Fairview Road
Pittsburgh PA  15238-1933
evans@evans.pgh.pa.us

* Re: Steelman is online!
@ 1996-07-31  0:00   ` Anthony Shipman
From: Anthony Shipman @ 1996-07-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <evans-3007961039190001@ppp7.pgh.net> evans@evans.pgh.pa.us (Arthur Evans Jr) writes:

>In article <4tif8a$8o6@disunms.epfl.ch>, Magnus.Kempe@di.epfl.ch (Magnus
>Kempe) wrote:

>> The Steelman document (the 1978 requirements for Ada) is finally
>> available online...
>>
> [snip]
>>
>> The document is part of a new section that deals with the history of Ada
>> (requirements, rationales, etc.).

>Wonderful!  Do you also plan to do Strawman, Woodenman, Tinman and
>Ironman?  I remember responding to Strawman not quite a million years
>ago but no longer have a copy; I've sometimes wondered just what was in
>it.

Are there documents about the losing bids (e.g. red language) ?

--
Anthony Shipman                 "You've got to be taught before it's too late,
TUSC Computer Systems Pty Ltd    Before you are six or seven or eight,

* Re: Steelman is online!
@ 1996-08-01  0:00     ` Arthur Evans Jr
From: Arthur Evans Jr @ 1996-08-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <4tn4tb$dtf@ephor.tusc.com.au>, als@tusc.com.au (Anthony
Shipman) added to a thread about putting Steelman online and wrote:

> Are there documents about the losing bids (e.g. red language) ?

All of this documentation was put on microfiche long ago.  I used to
have a set -- it was a pile of fiche over 0.25" high, which is a _lot_
of fiche.  I'm sure I haven't seen that pile in 15 years or more, and I
may no longer own it.  If I do, I'll never find it except by chance
while looking for something else.

Red documentation surely exists, somewhere.  John Nestor, Red's designer,
undoubtedly has a copy; so also, I expect, does Intermetrics.  Blue and
Yellow documentation?  They probably exist too.  Blue was SofTech and
Yellow SRI, I think.  The neurons wear out as I grow older.

@ 1996-08-01  0:00     ` Theodore E. Dennison
From: Theodore E. Dennison @ 1996-08-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anthony Shipman wrote:

> In <evans-3007961039190001@ppp7.pgh.net> evans@evans.pgh.pa.us (Arthur Evans Jr) writes:
>
> >In article <4tif8a$8o6@disunms.epfl.ch>, Magnus.Kempe@di.epfl.ch (Magnus
> >Kempe) wrote:
>
> >> The Steelman document (the 1978 requirements for Ada) is finally
> >> available online...
> >>
> > [snip]
> >>
> >> The document is part of a new section that deals with the history of Ada
> >> (requirements, rationales, etc.).
>
> Are there documents about the losing bids (e.g. red language) ?

I'd like to see that too. I would be interesting to see what Ada would have
looked like if one of the other "colors" was accepted.

--
T.E.D.
                |  Work - mailto:dennison@escmail.orl.mmc.com  |

* Re: Steelman is online!
@ 1996-08-02  0:00       ` Becca Norton
From: Becca Norton @ 1996-08-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: nortonb

Theodore E. Dennison wrote:
[snip]
> > Are there documents about the losing bids (e.g. red language) ?
>
> I'd like to see that too. I would be interesting to see what Ada would have
> looked like if one of the other "colors" was accepted.

The Ada Library, located at the Ada Joint Program Office (DISA Building,
Falls Church, VA), has copies of Comments from reviewers for ALL the
competing languages (green, red, yellow, blue) and has several Language
Reference Manuals for the Red Language (and the Green, too, obviously).

There may be even more historically interesting documentation, but these
are the documents that I am certain we have.  Please feel free to stop
by the library between 9-5 M-F if you are in the area.  Call to set up
an appointment with the librarian (to be escorted in the secure
building):

AdaIC:  800/232-4211
Ada & Reuse Library: 703/681-1269

We welcome visitors!
Becca Norton
AdaIC/ReuseIC -- Library
nortonb@sw-eng.falls-church.va.us

* Re: Steelman is online!
@ 1996-08-03  0:00       ` Keith Thompson
From: Keith Thompson @ 1996-08-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <3200D1D9.167EB0E7@escmail.orl.mmc.com> "Theodore E. Dennison" <dennison@escmail.orl.mmc.com> writes:
> Anthony Shipman wrote:
> > Are there documents about the losing bids (e.g. red language) ?
>
> I'd like to see that too. I would be interesting to see what Ada would have
> looked like if one of the other "colors" was accepted.

Edsger Dijkstra's comments on the Blue, Green, Yellow, and Red languages
are in Sigplan Notices, Volume 13, Number 10, October 1978.  An
editor's note says:

    At some time in the future, it is expected that the original designs
    will be published by the N.T.I.S.

(Presumably N.T.I.S.is the National Technical Information Service.)

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst@thomsoft.com <*>
TeleSoft^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H Alsys^H^H^H^H^H Thomson Software Products

* Re: Steelman is online!
@ 1996-08-05  0:00         ` Theodore E. Dennison
From: Theodore E. Dennison @ 1996-08-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Becca Norton wrote:

> Theodore E. Dennison wrote:
> [snip]
> > > Are there documents about the losing bids (e.g. red language) ?
> >
> > I'd like to see that too. I would be interesting to see what Ada would have
> > looked like if one of the other "colors" was accepted.
>
> The Ada Library, located at the Ada Joint Program Office (DISA Building,
> Falls Church, VA), has copies of Comments from reviewers for ALL the
> are the documents that I am certain we have.  Please feel free to stop
> by the library between 9-5 M-F if you are in the area.  Call to set up
> an appointment with the librarian (to be escorted in the secure
> building):

Urg. There was a sort of an implied "online somewhere" at the end of that.
While its nice to know that that stuff was kept, its just a SMIDGE less
convienent to take a 1500 mile trip, set up an appointment, and get escorted
around a secure building.