From: ell@access1.digex.net (Ell)
Subject: Re: WHERE ARE ALL THE OT EXPERTS???
Date: 1996/07/25
Date: 1996-07-25T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Alf P. Steinbach (alfps@online.no) wrote:
: This is reminiscent of ObjectMagazine, a trash publication I
: unfortunately thought looked interesting enough to buy.

If this pragmatist gave Object a chance he would see that leading
pragmatists like RMartin publish in Object.  Further, Object stands on its
own as a periodical pushing forward OO theory and practice (including
columns by Booch, and Jacobson).  It's some pragmatists, and subjectivists
who fail to see the value of Object.  These types are so narrow that
they can not get something out of Object, but as well read JOOP/ROAD,
IEEE, and ACM publications.  These are the same people who refuse to
review OO fundamentals every now, and then.

: First, CRC
: *is* a simple algorithm  --  there's nothing complicated in modulo
: division (I remember we had to implement the CRC algorithm as one
: of our assignments in a fundamental programming course back in
: 1982 or thereabouts).  Second, I believe only managers are interested
: in "Class-Responsibility-Collaborator" cards  --  fancy acronym, which
: they can impress other (low-level) managers with, but (1) it's so
: trivial as to be completely useless, and (2) it's *worse* than useless
: because it's a completely action-centered approach.  Urgh.

I guess Wirfs-Brock and Weiner, it's creators are managers?  Wrong!  I
guess the UML 3 are hopelessly stuck in a management mentality (i.e
they can't program), as they advocate using CRC?  Wrong!

Elliott