From: morphis@niuhep.physics.niu.edu
Subject: Re: [request for advice] Please read, I can't come up with a short subj.
Date: 1996/07/25
Date: 1996-07-25T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

 wheeler@aphrodite.csed.ida.org (David Wheeler) writes:
>morphis@niuhep.physics.niu.edu wrote:

>:         I have on occasion fell prey to MUDs (Multi-User Dungeons).  One
>: telnets in and interacts with game and with other users.  I have not been
>: satisfied with either the accuracy or various details of the way these have
>: been done.  So I decided to write one myself.  I hope to get a fairly
>: well intergrated alpha in about 2 years.
>
>I wish you well!  About a decade ago I maintained such programs
>commercially, so I know what's involved.  Maybe the following will help.

I want to thank the people who graciously offered me advice and
encouragement (most via email) (hamlink, deininger, nortonb, jrogers, dcw
and of course Wheeler)

>Try out my "Lovelace" tutorial, it culminates in a text adventure game.
>The advantage is that you'd be able to see one approach to building such
>a system, and it's small enough that you can easily understand the whole
>thing.  It's single-player (not a MUD), but it could be easily turned
>into a MUD.  Lovelace is at:
>  "http://lglwww.epfl.ch/Ada/Tutorials/Lovelace/lovelace.htm"

and to thank David for writing this tutorial.  IMHO it does a good job
of introducing the basics of Ada and OO programing.

>--- David A. Wheeler
>Net address: wheeler@ida.org

Robert
Morphis@physics.niu.edu